Running multiple SYN-2's with Ground Control Pro

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeves

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently running two SYN-2's with a GCX and GCP. I'm in need of some help setting this up and get the GCP to do the channel switching of the SYN-2's. At this point, I have only been able to get the GCP to switch the loops of the GCX, and am unable to switch the SYN-2's. If anyone out there is a similar setup, how do you have the GCP set up? I currently have the GCP set to 8 IA buttons and 4 presets, with the SYN-2 MIDI mode set to "select" on channel 1 for both units. Also, do you run the SYN-2's in the loop of the GCX, or just have it feeding the loop?

I would greatly appreciate any help, as I've completely hit a brick wall with getting this to work the way that I want.

Thanks,

Matt

Are you changing the SYN units with PC commands, via saved/learned presets? Or are you using CC commands? If it's the latter, I would think that each unit should be set to a different MIDI channel.

Hi RMosack, thank you for the response. I've been trying to save the selections according to what the Synergy manual states as far as selecting a button on the pedal and holding in the store button on the SYN-2 unit, which I'm assuming is a PC command? I haven't used MIDI in close to 20 years, but don't remember it being this difficult. I also don't know if I should have the SYN-2 MIDI mode set to Omni or Select, as the manual is pretty vague about the whole thing.

Another issue that I'm running in to, is that I need 8 IA buttons to control the GCX, and another 8 for the SYN-2's.From what i've seen in forums and Youtube videos, I suspect that people are doing this, but there are no clear explanations on how to set this up.

I'll give the CC commands on separate channels a try, but am confused as to how to program switching channels on one SYN-2, while telling the other SYN-2 to be in bypass at the same time?

If you are doing the PC commands, then as long as you change a patch on a controller, the modules should save to it. But that's ONLY if they are actually getting the MIDI command sent to them. IT should be really easy. I used my Boss GT-100 to change Synergy channels this way for a while. You just select a patch, and hold the little button down for a few seconds until it flashes. And you obviously have to do this on each SYN-2.

Given the above, it should be easy as long as MIDI is getting there. So check:
1) You are actually transmitting from your controller
2) It's going to the MIDI IN on both SYN-2 units
3) They are set to the correct channel. OMNI should work just fine on both. But if you want to pick a channel, make sure the controller and both of the SYN-2 are set to the same channel.

Thanks again RMosack! I'm going to mess with this more today, and try what you have suggested. After going through the GCP manual a couple of dozen times, I think I'm finally starting to wrap my head around how this thing works.I think that part of the problem is that I never physically created a "Device" on the GCP, so it may not have been sending a MIDI command. My biggest hurdle has been the need of 8 IA switches for the GCX and 8 IA switches for the SYN-2's. I'm going to turn on a second GCX on the GCP so that it thinks there are two GCX's, but try to program the second batch for the SYN-2's.

I currenlty run 2 Syn2's using a ground control pro (I'm not using a GCX with this, I'm routing using an Ampette switcher):

AYXdD5c.jpg

I set it up like this:

• Setup both Syn2 to the same midi channel in the CGP (master config menu, set device, set midi channel)
  • Set up the SYN2 in master / slave mode (from the manual)
  • Selec the patch then set what channel I want on the relevent Syn2 and set the other to bypass for that patch and press save on both Syn2

It's pretty easy to setup like that - if you are putting the Syn2 in a GCX loop or using the IA setup things would be a bit more complex I would think.

Thanks webrthomson. I assume when you say "patch", you're talking about the preset buttons? I was able to get it working over the weekend by programming preset buttons with CC messages.I did have to put the SYN-2 units on different MIDI channels, as I was consistently getting one channel that wouldn't switch when they were on the same MIDI channel. It's unfortunately not how I would like the GCP to work, as I wish that I could program one bank of IA buttons for the SYN-2's and one bank of IA's for the GCX, leaving me the preset buttons to actually create presets. I'm still going to mess with it more.

Nice rig by the way. How do you like the Fryette Power Station? I currently run a Rivera Rock Crusher for attenuation and a Two Notes Torpedo Live for the load box. I've been considering the Power Station to play the role of both of those, and just run the torpedo at line level.

I should have noted that I do run the SYN-2's in master/slave mode, and have the units inserted into a loop on the GCX. This allows me to run a couple of pedals prior to the preamps, with the rest of the pedals/rack processors after the preamps, but before the power amp.

mreeves said:
Thanks webrthomson. I assume when you say "patch", you're talking about the preset buttons? I was able to get it working over the weekend by programming preset buttons with CC messages.I did have to put the SYN-2 units on different MIDI channels, as I was consistently getting one channel that wouldn't switch when they were on the same MIDI channel. It's unfortunately not how I would like the GCP to work, as I wish that I could program one bank of IA buttons for the SYN-2's and one bank of IA's for the GCX, leaving me the preset buttons to actually create presets. I'm still going to mess with it more.

Nice rig by the way. How do you like the Fryette Power Station? I currently run a Rivera Rock Crusher for attenuation and a Two Notes Torpedo Live for the load box. I've been considering the Power Station to play the role of both of those, and just run the torpedo at line level.

I did have a look at the GCP manual and I could not work out how to get the IA setup to switch anything other than the GCX - I'd get in touch with Voodoo directly they are generally really helpful!

I like the Fryette a lot its very neutral so when using something that should have a EL34 poweramp its does not colour it too much.

Sounds like a nice rig - I used to use the GCX in a similar fashion, but with multiple preamps :)

These days I like something a bit smaller that I can actually move without a van.