Stereo Rig set up Assistance

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrodDalton

Reaction score
I am seeking forum assistance with stereo configuration & cable routing. Over the years my rig has became increasingly complex, Never have I had a stereo amp till the Syn-2 purchase. Going from a Wet/Dry set up to stereo has humbled me to the point of asking for the forum's assistance.
The major issue I've been experiencing is engaged effects are stepping all over each other, cannot get the panning or level's set correctly on the Boss 500 series pedals, nor can i get the signal to split properly and all sound coming out of the cabs is wet/wet.
I've found with the Synergy rig that the modules really open up nicely when I push the volume, So I've decided to get the torpedo captor X to put into the mix; only to find out from Torpedo that in order to attenuate both left and right I'll need 2 Captor's to do so. At this point most players would 86 and shelf the attenuated stereo idea and go back to a wet/dry set up....However, since I've been there and done that before rig many times before, FAT chance that I'm ready to admit defeat and back out.
So I pulled out the Rane units- the SM26s will split off the synergy/power amp and the sm82s Stereo line mixer to be able to mix the effects and dry signal in parallel, to easily pan the effects left and right and be able to set the level on the fly.

Another conundrum, is whether or not to run the Synergy SYN-2 off a tube amp (Either my Friedman BE-100 or JCM 800). Then run the left and right outputs from the SM82 mixer go to the left and right channels of the Carvin TS-100 power amp, and then the two power amp outputs to the 2x12 left and right cabs.
The final piece of the puzzle is to introduce the Boss ES-8 midi switcher into the chain to be able to control the effects and begin using programmed patches... I also have a Boss MS-3 that I'll leave out of the discussion for now...!!!!! UGH
Attached is link to a worksheet I made of the components...Any input would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM or email email me directly at [email protected]

https://www.reverbnation.com/page_object/page_object_photos/artist_5811132?photo=33623427

You should only need the SM26 or 82 not booth.

What are you using for your dry power amp? and wet?

Looking at the pics in the Reverb Nation link you have 2 4x12 dry cabs and 2 1x12 wet cabs... correct? Are you trying for WDW or just stereo?

I would connect 1 pedal at a time and get it set they way you like before adding a second 500 series pedal. Sounds like you may have a dry kill on in 1 of the pedals but I've never used any of the 500 series so I'm just guessing.

Maybe map out your signal chain as it is currently.

guitar --> syn2 --> MM500 --> DD500 --> Stereo Power amp

Ned Thanks for your reply...
To begin- the SM26s will be used in the SPLIT mode for the Left and Right Channels since the captor X limits me to a single output (unless I use the XLR outs into my focusrite) and the SM82s will be used to Mix the output level of everything in parallel to my liking.
the cab config is 4x12's for the dry and the 2x12's for the wet left and right
secondly I originally intended to run this rig in stereo and not in a wet/dry set up.
I may exchange the Captor X for a Fryette PS2...Not too sure yet.
Regarding what Power amp will be used for the wet side... I may hook the Syn-2 up through my Friedman BE and use the Carvin TS-100 stereo power amp for the effects.

Sounds like you have it figured out.

I would split the dry into your parallel effects, make sure to enable the "kill dry" and run those into the Carvin.

Use the Captor to send your dry signal from the Friedman to the SM26. If you get the PS2 you can eliminate the Captor and the Friedman.

Here is how I'm set up.

2 Syn-2's into my Mod50 combo. Guitar into HX FX, send 1 to the Syn-2's/Mod50, Line out on the Mod 50 (post power amp) into Rocktron Rack Interface which splits the sign to H9 and back to the HX FX. H9 100% wet to Mix 1 on the rack interface, Main outs of HXFX to Mix 2, everything post return is 100% wet. The dry sound comes from the combo speaker.

Ned,
A bit ironic that you mention the Eventide H9...!!!! Simply because I too have an H9. When I implemented it into my effects chain, set up in a stereo cable routing config: Using the H9 setting interface to set the patch's preferred routing, only then did i realize it was not cabled properly and no matter how i ran my cables or set the H9's settings, I could not get it the H9 to split the output without sounding like crap or stepping all over other effects. However Using the H9 in my wet/dry set up: I'd plug in the H9 to the Dry side and the out 2 to the wet side set the individual patch routing config to Wet/Dry and it was total sweetness!!!! I especially liked the way the "Crystals" patch sounded in a wet/dry set up. that added a super cool ambient swell that came out of the wet cabs, albeit a totally useless patch, other than just noodling around or using it as a layered effect in a recording mix.

-And right down the rabbit hole I am !!!!!!