Plexi and JCM 800 Tones on the Ecstasy Module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMosack

Reaction score
I already have the Plexi module that I like for low (blue channel) to medium-low (red channel) tones. Happy with that.

Based on the Ecstasy module web page and owner's manual, it's supposed to be able to cover a range of classic Marshall type tones from the '60s to the '80s. In fact, the manual describes the Schizo switch as basically a decade switch. Given that I have the lower gain Plexi stuff covered, my perfect scenario would be to use the Ecstasy for hot rodded Plexi tones on the blue channel, if I can, and for 800 sounds on the red channel, again, if possible.

Has anyone been able to dial in higher gain or hot rodded Plexi tones with the Ecstasy? On the blue channel? If so, which switch settings?

Has anyone been able to dial in a convincing JCM 800 tone on the Ecstasy? If so, which channel/settings?

I had hoped to cover the gamut of classic Marshall tones with the Plexi and the Ecstasy Module
- Plexi blue for edge of breakup Plexi tone
- Plexi red for just a bit more gain (obviously shared EQ)
- Ecstasy blue for higher gain Plexi tones
- Ecstasy red for JCM 800 tones

Now I wonder if I had been better served to simply buy the 800 module instead of the Ecstasy, especially since the Ecstasy module is finicky, for me anyway. Maybe I should have done something like this
- Plexi blue for edge of breakup Plexi tone
- Plexi red cranked gains for the hot rod Plexi thing (live with the shared EQ)
- 800 blue for JCM 800 tones
- 800 red for just a bit more gain (shared EQ)

I get a range of gains on it but not sure it sounds like a Marshall. Just flip the switches till you get what works for you. If I roll of vol a bit on the LP it cleans up pretty nicely. For high gain Marshall I hear you can't beat the Soldano probably the most popular module I think. I hear the Fryette Deliverance is a "Marshall Killer" as well. The Synergy's will have more gain than the amp I think as the un modded Marshall is not all that gainy really.

I don't have the 800 module to compare it to (though I think that's my next module), but the blue channel of the Ecstasy can get pretty close to what I think an 800 should sound like with the schizo switch in the top position, as well as some squishier high gain plexi-ish tones (a la early EVH). However, I find the red channel is extremely compressed and loose, has an absurd amount of gain on tap, and I hardly have a use for it. It's also, in my experience, one of the noisier modules in the red channel, lots of hiss/noise floor. If I'm using the Ecstasy, it's for the blue channel.

From what I've heard from the demos out there on the 800 module, it nails that sound, and I'm probably gonna get my filthy mitts on it here soon.

Of the modules I have, and based purely on my own opinion, the SLO will get you into that high-gain Marshall territory. The Deliverance can do a lot of those tones too, but it's got that signature Fryette "dryness," which you'll either love or hate (I adore it). It's an extremely dynamic and punchy tone.

Of the modules I DON'T have, I would look at the 800, BE, and HBE modules. They've all got Marshall DNA, and are all Friedman-designed.

I've been using my VH4 and the Ecstasy at the same time in a stereo L/R rig into the SYN50/50. Sort of s mimic of Adam Jones Tool dual amp thing. Sounds amazing I may not go back to chaining them. Unless, ...new idea, two modules chain linked on each side, a different approach, god I love this stuff! I don't have a Marshall module type but I do think the Bogner does a similar tone, maybe better.