Is SYN inbuilt cabsim any good?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burlo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, looking to simplify recording by going direct, rather than mic+cab etc.

Is the SYN-1/SYN-2 cabsim:

1. Not terrible
2. Good enough
3. Fantastic

I have a Randall RM100 (no dual channel mod). Should I buy a Torpedo or similar instead of a SYN? Thoughts and opinions gratefully received. Cheers.

Good enough ... But you ll need power amp simulation (torpedo captor x) to be ...fantastic

Certainly usable, but I typically keep it off for recording and apply my own IR after the fact.

Burlo said:

1. Not terrible
2. Good enough
3. Fantastic

I have a Randall RM100 (no dual channel mod). Should I buy a Torpedo or similar instead of a SYN? Thoughts and opinions gratefully received. Cheers.
I wouldn't purchase anything without first trying the built-in cabinet simulator because it may suit your needs perfectly.

Personally, I do not like the Torpedo products because they alter the sound of the IR way too much, which results in a very processed sound. Recabinet 5.0 and STL Ignite's Libra are much better, IMO, because neither processes the sound of the IR, resulting in a much clearer and far more accurate IR representation, although I do not care for their included IR's. I use Recabinet for all of my guitar and bass tracks with Celestion IR's.

gibsonash said:
Good enough ... But you ll need power amp simulation (torpedo captor x) to be ...fantastic

With all due respect, this is 100% false. A "power amp simulation" is absolutely unnecessary. It's basically an EQ Curve set around 200 hz and while that may be nice when just jamming, you'll end up EQing that out when in a proper mix.

My advice is to demo as many IR Loaders as possible, record a track in your DAW and render a mix with each one. Comparing mixes will reveal which is best for your application. Good luck!

Here are a couple of tracks in which I used the Soldano SLO>SYN-2>Vintech x73>Celestion IR's using Recbainet 5.

No EQ was added in the mixing stage, there's no power amp simulation, etc., so you're hearing the tone of the guitar, Synergy preamp and effects in the DAW. I used Soundtoys Echoboy Delays (long & short) and a bit of Lexicon Plate Reverb. The Delays are set to -15 while the Reverb is set to -12. I'll post some heavier tracks in the next week or so.

https://soundcloud.com/mikeplas/head-rush-active-rock

https://soundcloud.com/mikeplas/broken-catwalk-active-rock

Mike P said:
With all due respect, this is 100% false. A "power amp simulation" is absolutely unnecessary. It's basically an EQ Curve set around 200 hz and while that may be nice when just jamming, you'll end up EQing that out when in a proper mix.

I agree with this guy

Also - gee whiz this place doesnt get too many posts :(

Burlo said:

1. Not terrible
2. Good enough
3. Fantastic

It's "good enough" to "fantastic" depending on the mod, the guitar and the sound for the track you're working on. With the Friedman HBE and my Strat using its humbucker, IMHO, it has that early 80's metal sound without any additional EQ/processing.

I think it's pretty good. Nothing to tweak. I cut the guitars on this song with Syn2 cab sim out to Focusrite. It was Protools. I used SLO and BE for the dirty guitars and the Bman on the clean parts. All cut on my laptop sitting on the couch. :p

https://open.spotify.com/album/1wuircfS6XYFqlY0UXAPKG