big buzz when I'm near to a SYN5050

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlv

Reaction score
Hello, First of all I want to apologize for my writing mistakes because the English language is not my native language.

I have had a SYn5050 with a syn2 (ENGL powerball and Bogner Ubershall) for over a year. I'm happy with the sound, but I've always had a big problem with the SYN5050.

When my guitar is less than 2 meters away, I pick up unmanageable radiation (hum) from the power amplifier that echoes through my mics. This is obviously even more present with high gain.

I would like to point out that, I have this problem with all my guitars (JEM7, RG, RG custom,…), and that the gain level in my modules is low (10:00 / 11:00 am). I would also like to point out that if I replace my SYN5050 with a Blackbeauty VHT I have absolutely no snoring, and the sound is perfect.
I have tested other preamps (jmp1, rocktron, ...) that don't change anything, a big hum appears when the guitar is less than 2 meters from the SYN5050. It is the SYN5050 that is involved.

In some situation I have the option of playing more than 2 meters from the rack and everything is OK, but sometimes that is not possible. In the studio, for example, I'm at arm's length to be able to make adjustments to the preamp. It is then impossible for me to play because the hum is unbearable.

Is there a shielding solution to be done around the components or transformer to eliminate this problem?
Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions

I had the same issue, I did several tests with different cabling, guitars, preamps and power amps, and came to the conclusion that my unit was defective. When I contacted synergy they told me that this kind of hum was to be expected with high gain amplification and there was nothing wrong with the unit.
So since the unit wasn't defective, I ended up selling the SYN5050 and got a VHT 2:50:mad:2, problem solved. You already have a VHT, I'd just use that one instead.
The SYN5050 sounded good but not amazing, the size was the best thing really, but I couldn't deal withe the hum.

I am glad to see that I am not alone in this situation.
Like you, I chose the Syn5050 for its size but also for its weight against VHT. The idea that it is the same designer prompted me to acquire this model. It's still strange that the problem is known, recognized and not resolved ...

Indeed in its clear, the problem remains audible while being acceptable. But with a moderate gain level, this is already unacceptable for sound recording. High gain is just not possible within 2m in my case.

Even if I find the sound very pleasant and suitable, in fact I am more and more disappointed by the SYN5050: This hum problem, the fact that the bias is corrected, the fact that the box is too short to install 6L6JJ .. .
Looking back, I'm less enthusiastic than at the start

So I will stop looking for a solution and go back to my old (and heavy) VHT BB from 2005. Thank you.