Power amp purgatory ( Seymore Duncan Hell)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkyfoe12

Reaction score
So, here's where I'm at.

Got my Synergy Syn-2 rig pretty much exactly where I want it... I go to a rehearsal and my rig is causing a buzz in the P.a.....no big deal. ( I flip the ground lift and everything is a little better)
Get to the gig, and my rig causes the whole venue to lose power ( tripping a GFI and the breaker) . I'm able to narrow it down to my( 5 month old ) Seymour Duncan PowerStage 200 I'm using as my poweramp. As soon as I plug in to it ( even when the power is not on) BOOM...the GFI trips. ( Ground fault ).

What the hell?!?!?

Has anyone ever experienced this? IS the PowerStage meant for pedal boards only??? Because it sure as hell can't be plugged into the same circuit as my preamps without issue.

Should I just bite the bullet and get a Power Station or the Syn-50/50?

I have a SD170, and have never had a problem with it, including the Synergy. So, it may be the unit, or even the venue's electricity.

Lespauled said:
I have a SD170, and have never had a problem with it, including the Synergy. So, it may be the unit, or even the venue's electricity.

Thanks for the reply. So I tested at home with a GFI I had in my kitchen, then I bought a GFI adapter just to make extra sure.. The PowerStage 200 was definitely the problem, blew the GFI every time . Luckily it was still under warranty and Seymour Duncan has it now. A 6-8 weeks turn around which is kinda sucky but they have been very helpful and accommodating.

From what I researched it seems to be an intermittent ground fault which could be from the most minuscule frayed wire/ connection. I bought a PS170 for the meantime because I still have gigs. Maybe I'll find that that is enough and won't miss the presence knob and the DI.

My guess is that this unit was always "faulty". There was a a ground loop buzz the day I got it, but since the Syn-2's ground lift removed the noise, I didn't think much of it. That was until I took it to venue (3 year old building) that had GFI outlets, and blew the power every time I plugged in the **** thing.

So.... a WARNING to anyone that has a PowerStage 200 with an audible ground loop noise...return it for a new one if you still can!