RM50 with Line 6 HX FX

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I have two Jaded Faith modded RM50s and there has always been a ground loop issue when using either a Digitech GSP1101 or any line 6 product 4CM in the FX loop, so this is not a big deal as I just put an Ebtech hum eliminator into the chain before the FX loop.
My HX FX has a channel switching feature which is great. However, I found that this causes the ground loop too. No problem,,,,I just do what I do for the FX loop, I put an Ebtech Hum eliminator between the HX FX and the channel switching jack in the back. It works really well and got rid of the hum. However, now it will not switch channels. The switching jack works perfectly still but not with the hum eliminator in the chain. Anybody out there have any ideas on this? Wht it the hum eliminator doing that would stop it from switching channels?
BTW, I have tried the Hum X on the amp and on the HX FX but no difference.
ricky

Have you tried using different outlets for power? If you can make sure they are on different circuits.

I've got a HXFX in 4CM with my MOD50 and I don't have any hum.

Do you get hum if you put the HXFX only in front or in the loop of the RM50?

The only happens in the loop, like I said, I found a way to deal with it via the hum eliminator. I have tried different circuits etc,My issue now is getting it to switch channels with the ebtech in line. I can’t think of a logical reason why it won’t switch using the hum eliminator....

II

I have HX FX, and get the same ground loop hum when using channel change functionality with several different amps (with & without SYN-2), hum eliminator fixed it, and allowed changing channels. On one (PRS Archon) I was running 4CM, and using one of the "PEDAL/EXT AMP" jacks on the HX effects to do channel changing on the Archon, which required a funky proprietary 5 pin to 1/4 cable from BPA - had to buy TWO hum eliminators and connect send/return on the loop, amp input, and the channel change jack (4 connections). Similar issue with 1/4 channel/reverb switching on my Marshall head with the HX Effects. Somewhere (Line 6 forums maybe) there was a bunch of users of the HX Effects that had same issue, reason is something about compromises in the ground wiring design to jam all the functionality into the various HX FX 1/4 jacks.

The PEDAL/EXT AMP 1-2 jacks are TRS, and can be configured in the HX Effects menus to send channel change on either/both Tip and Sleeve-
On the HX FX, Go to Global Settings > Preferences
Pedal 1 Jack (or Pedal 2 jack, whichever you are using)
and check the settings, EXT AMP 1 tip and/or sleeve

If you still can't get it to work after switching those menu settings, one more thing you can try (assuming it tests out with strait TS cable from the HX FX to the RM 50, just with hum). All the Hum Eliminator 1/4 jacks are TRS, so you may want to try a TRS patch cable from the HX FX to Hum Eliminator, and a breakout TRS to dual mono 1/4 cable to the channel change jack on the RM50 to figure out which side (tip/sleeve) changes the channel. good luck!

9985, I PM'd you on this. I have not yet tried your fixes but they sound very promising....
rick