Best Clean, Clean module...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkyfoe12

Reaction score
So I've been on the hunt looking for the best clean. ( for me, that means very high headroom when I need it, almost akin to a JC-120) I play in a Funk/rock fusion so I play a lot of clean funk rhythms...ala Prince , Nile Rodgers etc.

Here's a list of what I've tried, that for one reason or another, didn't scratch that clean funk itch...

Synergy Tdlx
Synergy B-man
Synergy OS
Randall Blackface
Randall Deluxe

I settled on the Randall Deluxe. That got me closest to what I'm looking for, but it has this slightly harsh, subtle, breakup I don't dig.

Maybe some more experienced module collectors can help me out!!??

My research has got me looking at... The Randall Clean, Jaded Faith SuperClean, Savation LoneClean or Salvation Twinface.

Am I on the right track here? Any suggestions or experience with any of these mods?

Any help super appreciated!!!

The JF super clean will get you there, but it will still breakup a little bit (jut a bit) with hot enough humbuckers.

The SuperClean is where I'm leaning. Thank you so much for the reply!!

I like the voicing of the Fender-y clean mods I've tried, but the break-up is just not pleasing to me..

I have since gone back to the OS for my clean sound, for the time being. That is the only one that doesn't have this weird frequency, harsh break-up.

I really think it would be cool if someone made a Solid State Clean Mod , like the ADA MP-1 solid state clean channel, or a JC-120 pre-amp ...maybe with a built-in chorus and compressor! I think I'm probably in the minority though..

A lot of people have asked for this before but the consensus seems to be that those sounds can be achieved with single coils and a compressor.
I have an Egnater Twin and Deluxe that can do that job better than other clean module I've tried. I haven't tried the Randall clean or the KH-1 though.

Funkyfoe12 said:

I like the voicing of the Fender-y clean mods I've tried, but the break-up is just not pleasing to me..

I have since gone back to the OS for my clean sound, for the time being. That is the only one that doesn't have this weird frequency, harsh break-up.

I really think it would be cool if someone made a Solid State Clean Mod , like the ADA MP-1 solid state clean channel, or a JC-120 pre-amp ...maybe with a built-in chorus and compressor! I think I'm probably in the minority though..

I 100% agree that such a module would be a great idea. I know people come up with workarounds, like switching to a different guitar, using a compressor pedal, etc. But nothing would beat the convenience of a solid state clean module, with built in chorus and compression. You could do something really cool, where the chorus and the compression could both be set to engage for both channels, or just one channel, or neither. That gives some nice flexibility. I could dial in a pristine clean on channel 1, maybe with no comp or chorus, and have channel two set up to be be squashed and chorused out. It would be a mono chorus, of course, so those of us with a rack rig could maybe keep it low and also add some stereo chorus with an effects processor. Or whatever, really.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would discourage such a thing. We seem to be in the minority, and I don't know why. It's a little annoying, TBH.

I've managed to kinda get there with a Jaded Faith Super Clean, and using one of my Korg DL8000rs for chorus. I have it set so it won't break up even with hot humbuckers and the volume up on my guitar. Unfortunately, no compression. I don't want to add pedals to my rack rig, and I don't want to sacrifice a rack space. I also just want to avoid adding more weight. So, I would absolutely buy a JC-120 or MP-1 or even Rockman solid state clean module.

TommyVonVoigt said:
I 100% agree that such a module would be a great idea. I know people come up with workarounds, like switching to a different guitar, using a compressor pedal, etc. But nothing would beat the convenience of a solid state clean module, with built in chorus and compression. You could do something really cool, where the chorus and the compression could both be set to engage for both channels, or just one channel, or neither. That gives some nice flexibility. I could dial in a pristine clean on channel 1, maybe with no comp or chorus, and have channel two set up to be be squashed and chorused out. It would be a mono chorus, of course, so those of us with a rack rig could maybe keep it low and also add some stereo chorus with an effects processor. Or whatever, really.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would discourage such a thing. We seem to be in the minority, and I don't know why. It's a little annoying, TBH.

I've managed to kinda get there with a Jaded Faith Super Clean, and using one of my Korg DL8000rs for chorus. I have it set so it won't break up even with hot humbuckers and the volume up on my guitar. Unfortunately, no compression. I don't want to add pedals to my rack rig, and I don't want to sacrifice a rack space. I also just want to avoid adding more weight. So, I would absolutely buy a JC-120 or MP-1 or even Rockman solid state clean module.

I just sent my Randall Deluxe away to get made into a "Super Clean" by Jaded Faith.

Sounds like I'll be pretty happy with it.

Yeah, you are envisioning exactly what I am! Ohh that would be sooo cool . A Rockman clean/ compression/ Chorus module! We should petition for one.

So are you happy with your SuperClean? I'm anticipating kind of a JC-120 type of voicing. Would you say that's accurate?

I'm hoping that it has a nice, strong output without much break-up.

The Egnater VX A channel will get clean as well. If you're looking for Vox chime that module works great.

The os sounds like it is scooped in the mids imo , I havnt tried it , but from the demos I watched it sounded sorta on the thin side ? But it does have a nice sweet high end . I love the dumble tone and was considering it myself . I found that to clean is going to sound really lifeless in the context of a mix so I like a subtle edge that’s rounded and silky , so far the bman seems to have a nice tone for clean , the r deluxe sounds pretty good to , but it’s hard saying without trying them out for myself . I’m thinking my next syn 2 build is going to be a bman and vai sig , or something similar . Maybe a bman and 800 .

I was not that taken by the OS module myself. I think it likes the Strat thing better. I like the clean on the BB/BE and the Deliverance cleans up well. The ENGL tweaked clean is not bad either. The Vai has an excellent clean channel but the gain was a little too fuzzy for my tastes.

I've read that the Vai module's clean channel is basically the same as the Bman module.
I think it was based off the bman module , there is a stream on sweetwater with Steve talking about it , very cool video .