2012: A growing sense of Dredd

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felineguitars

Reaction score
This personal project has been lurking ?on my back-burner for a while, but as I've started making progress with it, I thought I'd share it with you guys.

It is based on one of my Panther super-strat guitars, and features a mahogany body , floyd rose (shown with a Gotoh, but we will put an original Floyd on here in the end as it's my favourite to use). The neck is maple with an ebony board and will be fretted with Dunlop 6000 gauge frets.

The body was painted by my friend Nick Smith with my favourite image of 2000AD comic's resident law enforcer.
Many artists have drawn Judge Dredd over the years but this is based on a drawing by the original artist : Carlos Ezquerra
I had my airbrush artist friend Nick Smith do the artwork on the body - he used a mix of airbrush and paintbrush

greenstrat6.jpg

Here is the neck with the inlay letters just laid on the fingerboard during the planning stages of the project
It was a no-brainer as to what to inlay in the fingerboard:- Dredd's familiar catchphrase "I AM THE LAW"
Those who know me well enough to know my surname is LAW will see the extra appeal of this inlay.

greenstrat7.jpg

This last week has seen me being very busy doing inlays so I decided to get stuck in to the big task of inlaying all this pearl
It took a lot of doing , but the result was worthwhile:

greenstrat5.jpg

Nice clean inlays, which then had to be cut through once inlaid to allow for the fret slots to be reinstated

greenstrat3.jpg

greenstrat4.jpg

I had also planned for the last 8 frets to be scalloped, which is something I like to have on some of my own guitars.
I often scallop from the 13th upwards but here I planned to do it from after the last inlaid fret which was frets 15-22

greenstrat2.jpg

We even "offset" the side dots in this area to avoid them being in the way of the scallops - it's nice to plan ahead sometimes.

greenstrat1.jpg