6L6 recomendations. !!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justamoddguy

Reaction score
Hey fellow mts brothers and sisters. Im looking at putting a set of 6L6 tubes in my rm 100. Can anyone recomend a particular type of them. Or a speacial mix of tubes including pre amp ones. The tone im looking for is modern metal. I have modded mts modules like xtc plexi ultra xl sl plus recto. Ive been looking at groove tubes. And tung sol. And various others. I like it metal. Lol. But its confusing as some are hard medium or soft. Have letters like s or r. Or gc after them. Can you use say mesa tubes 6l6 str 440s in the RM100? Any help advice would be appriciated. Im looking at buying a mix of tubes and just experimenting. Like kt 88 ones 5881 el34. Mixing them up a bit. But its if i know exactly what brand and type too get that would help. Like the ratings for an RM 100. The letterings. Im after that modern metal sound and i am soon too buy a foglifter and mda board. And the jaded faith mesa modules and snakebite rr59 ones. Love there work. Its amazing what they do. Any advice will be very much appreciated !!! I mean any at all about anything. Im ready too change and self bias and im practicing changing my bias settings later today with the jjel34 tubes i have installed at the moment. Thanks in advance people

Hard means they stay cleaner longer
Soft bring distortion earlier

Groove tubes had a good book about tubes, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Not certain what the letters after mean, but I'll bet a google search will tell you.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there is a lot of info at this link:

http://www.amplifiedparts.com/sites/all/modules/custom/tech_corner/files/6l6gc_comparison_of_current_made_tubes.pdf

Well, I can say for sure that you can use Mesa 6L6 STR440's, because I have a set of those. And, they sound great! Currently I'm running a pair of the Mesa 6L6's & a pair of SED Winged C EL34's. So, feel free to mix & match with your JJ EL34's as well. It does modern metal great with this combo, when used with my JF Blackout (Recto with some added pizzaz, lol) it just slays. But, I also run a Vybe Deluxe for my cleans & low gains, and an R'Verb for my mid gains and marshally crunch tones. So, the 34/6L6 combo works great for that. You may be happier with just the 6L6's though.

In any case, you can run any type of 'octet' power tube (8-pin array), including 6L6, EL34, KT88/77/66, 6V6 (I think), 6550, 5881, etc. I go here for my tubes and info/reviews on the tubes:

http://www.thetubestore.com

I wouldn't get caught up in the hard, soft, etc or any of the nuanced 'STR440's', 'GC', etc. From my experience there is little difference. So, I'd say just look over some reviews, grab a few pairs if tubes, and just swap till your heart is content. It's really easy to do with these amps, so take advantage!

Thanks too everyone that replied too my thread on tube selection and tube compatability. Its helped me so much. I cant wait too put a set of the mesa 6L6 440str tubes in and el34 winged ones. But in saying that ill be getting diffrent tubes whenever i can and start experimenting like a mad professor. Mate of mine recomended the tung sol ax7 preamp tubes. So ill be giving the preamp tubes an experiment too. And sooon ill be sending some modules off too jaded faith and salvation mods. And installing either a foglifter or a mda board. Hopefully i can organise a new transformer from rob at jaded faith and get a tech too install it here in australia. Posting modules is easy but too send my amp over would cost a fortune as the RM 100 amps are heavy as. Im a proud randall RM 100 owner and i think this amp is so awesome. I collect modules whenever the missus lets me spend up lol. This forum is simply awesome and an invalueable sorce of infomation and informed opinions. And im amazed at the work jaded faith and salvation mods can do. Those blokes are superhuman. Cheers for the advice.

Ben!!!

Latest posts