All modules are not created equal?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunchtime

Reaction score
I recently ordered a KH3 and 1086 from Musicians Friend for my new RM50 head. My plan was to compare them and decide which one I wanted to keep as my high gain channel.

The first thing I noticed was the 1086 was much louder. I was a bit suprised by this. The 1086 with the channel volume on 3 ( scale of 1-10 ) was equal to the KH3 on 5. Also the tone was much clearer and defined.
The KH3 really lacked presence.

I got the chance to compare it with another 1086. Mine was louder and more defined than the second 1086. The second 1086 had comparable volume to the KH3. I tried to eliminate all variables. I switched tubes around and my 1086 still dominated. I tried all 3 modules in both slots of the RM50. No change, my 1086 ruled.

Bottom line is the KH3 goes back. I wonder if my 1086 is above average or if the other modules were sub par. Now I need a module that can do decent cleans and SRV type blues. Is there a module like this?

I have seen some inconsistent modules like you mention, but more often it's between different modules than 2 of the same.

The Tweed is a great module that does clean to SRV really well. Does SRV stuff better than any other MTS module I can think of (had almost all at one point or another now). It does need a little mod work to realize it's potential, but it's my 1st choice clean these days.

Thanks, I might check out the tweed. I might order two and send back the loser. I originally decided on a 1086 because everyone here was bragging up the modded 1086. I thought I would get one to have modded but I think I have a special one here. It sounds supreme stock.

This is a prime example why I don't just follow a recipe every time for mods - no two modules sound EXACTLY alike due to parts tolerances.

Pete

Ill tell you what CRUNCHTIME. Your 1086 may sound sweet stock as mine did as well, but nothing in this known world touches PETES modded 1086, nothing. I dream about it when I sleep, and I day dream about it when im at work, it is not until my amps are fired up and that first CHUG out of the 1086 that I am finally content for the day.

Its like kicking that one persons *** youve always wanted to, and then when your done you feel like you should have done that along time ago, ya like that.

JUST DO IT, DO IT

TheHunter said:
Ill tell you what CRUNCHTIME. Your 1086 may sound sweet stock as mine did as well, but nothing in this known world touches PETES modded 1086, nothing. I dream about it when I sleep, and I day dream about it when im at work, it is not until my amps are fired up and that first CHUG out of the 1086 that I am finally content for the day.

Its like kicking that one persons *** youve always wanted to, and then when your done you feel like you should have done that along time ago, ya like that.

JUST DO IT, DO IT

+1000 on this one!! :shock: :wink: ...let Pete do his magic on it. Every single owner of this modded 1086 says it's totally worth it.

Pedro said:
TheHunter said:

JUST DO IT, DO IT

+1000 on this one!! :shock: :wink: ...let Pete do his magic on it. Every single owner of this modded 1086 says it's totally worth it.
Ya just got to hear it in PERSON! Play it....man...like a punch in the FACE!! Very very few amps hit me like that module does and for what it does......you just cannot go wrong. :D

re: the volume differences...

Could that have to do with the inconsistencies of the pots from one to another. And that the pots have different sweeps in them, but will actually be the same volume level at 10?