Amp Builiding Classes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce egnater

Reaction score
Thinking about doing the amp classes this fall. Any thoughts on what we should build? Already did the hot-rodded Marshall. What do you think might be cool? Maybe AC30ish or Dr Z? How about a heavy gain like the Armageddon. Ideas? Need to keep it simple.

I suggest you build a 3 channel MTS combo amp with a single 12 and 50 watts, with a good usable loop, at a decent weight. I think anumber of people would want that..
...as a project? Not sure its simple enough.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I suggest you build a 3 channel MTS combo amp with a single 12 and 50 watts, with a good usable loop, at a decent weight. I think anumber of people would want that..
...as a project? Not sure its simple enough.
GtrGeorge

I second that!! but with an additional half power switch from 50 watts down to 15 watts :wink:

how about a triode/pentode preamp with a push pull pentode power amp. med-hi gain. maybe try something different with some of the bias circuits...diode/rectifier biasing? i don't know too much about tube amps but i am very interested in learning all i can about them. I have several books i am reading and plenty of pdfs and weblinks to help me.

is this a a traditional class or are you making videos lectures to share online? i'd definitely be interested in something like this.

SacredGroove said:
I vote Armageddon.

Is there anymore info on the classes?

This!
But I'm too far away to be able to go regardless of what will be built. :(

I am interested in an AC30. Can you point me in the direction of where to find info on your classes? Are they something that is once a week? Or is it something you do in a few days?

Hell Yeah Bruce! May I ask what level of expertise one should have before officially taking credits at Egnater University?

I can solder and that's about it....Is that enough? Oh yeah, I can also buy parts and fun **** like that! :D

bruce egnater said:
Thinking about doing the amp classes this fall. Any thoughts on what we should build? Already did the hot-rodded Marshall. What do you think might be cool? Maybe AC30ish or Dr Z? How about a heavy gain like the Armageddon. Ideas? Need to keep it simple.
That's incredible, Bruce!!
I'd like to see some more info on this for sure.
I'd love to learn how to do a point to point wired, lower wattage amp like the Soldano Atomic or something that can do gain and clean up to sweetness.
Or how about a Dumble clone? That would be interesting. More details please, sir!!!

How about something like the old Hughes and Kettner "Cream Machine"
or "Blues master?"
The Blues Master had 1x12ax7 and 1x EL84 and could drive a speaker.

If I can swing the cost then I would be in regardless of what the amp is. I played an Egnater seminar head at a local ampfest a few years ago and I was in love with the hot rodded Marshall tones. It was my favorite hands down. I still look for one to come up for sale.

FWIW, the other amps there were:

Bogner XTC
Herbert
Quickrod
Marshall Plexi something
AxeFx standard
Dual Rec
Mark III
DSL
and a few others I can't remember

Lucky for me I'me in the area :D Oh wait I need lots o $ :cry: Have to get stuff on ebay soon. I vote for a
Hiwatt clone. With power scaling. Or a old Fender deluxe reverb.
I would also like to know about skill level. I can solder too. hey Matt, good question.

How about a nice modded Marshall channel, a Fenderish clean, a good series loop and dual switchable master volumes?

How about a seminar on the design & construction of a custom MTS module? I already have (hopefully) the last amp I will ever own. :shock:

I might be a little late to the party but how about a 100 watt 2 channel. Channel 1 Bogner Shiva (shiva gain) with steroid switch to take it up a notch for metal guys. Channel 2 with with the pristine VOX clean tone that has a the ability to get a little dirty. Throw on the density to make channel 1 nice and thick. Poin to point wiring if possible.