Another Dead rm100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srrdude

Reaction score
So i bought an rm100 off a guy on harmony central...and it is apparently dead. I can't go buggin him about this because i bought it a couple months ago, but left it sitting in my room with no playing because i was with my roommates and couldnt play it. So im at my parents, i plug it into my cab, and turn it on. Nothing.

The led's indicate no tube failures, all the tubes are glowing, the fan works, ll the pre-amps seem to be fine. In fact, my ultra xl module is brand new and has never been used. So i am fairly sure its not the tubes, its not the modules. I have tried another cabinet, no dice. Different cables and different guitars as well.

And yes, its plugged into the wall.

Sooooooo......any suggestions? It would appear that the tube fuse closest to the plug is blown, but the led doesnt show a failure and the tube still glows when its on. I am confused and bumming. Cheer me up mate.

funny-pictures-cat-undercooked-cheeseburger.jpg

Cheering up achieved.

Now, try replacing the fuse if it's blown, and check it again. When biasing my amp for the first time I accidentally turned the fuse blow thing instead of the bias knob (blonde roots are showin xD), a light came on, and I heard a pop. I freaked for a second, turned it back, light turned back off. So see if all those fuse blow knob things are all vertical.

I lol'd notsomuch at the picture but at "cheering up achieved." All the fuse things are in the vertical position and none of the lights are on, but i haven't had a chance to change the one fuse that kinda looks blown yet. Haven't checked the three on the inside.

you kno wat i hav the same exact problem.

i was replacing my tubes. and when i took the tubes out. something happened. i heard a big pop. and i freaked out too. and i just got new tubes. and everything lights up. did everything. and nothing. i hav no idea wats going on....

im really pissed off now.

im thinking about selling all this **** and getting a mesa.. :evil:

Just out of curiosity (and it's a stupid question, I know), does everyone have their gain knobs up? The volume cuts out completely when the gain knob is all the way down, and the same when the tone knobs are down all the way.

yea mine was up. i spent about 1 hour trying everything.

im gonna take it down to my neighbor. he can probably fix it. he used to work for Fender. and he knows all those electronic stuff.

He plays with a lot of tube stuff.

SYNY5TER said:
yea mine was up. i spent about 1 hour trying everything.

im gonna take it down to my neighbor. he can probably fix it. he used to work for Fender. and he knows all those electronic stuff.

He plays with a lot of tube stuff.

Is he a TV repairman? I bet he has an awesome set of tools...

FYI, you guys probably have popped an internal fuse. I'd open it up and start looking for fuses to check. If your tubes light up it just means the heaters are working, there are seperate fuses for it to actually produce sound. I bet you have a blown fuse somewhere (both of you).

Pete

yea i just opened up my fuses. lol wow. one of my fuses just blew up lol. now my worries are over now.

also my neighbor used to work for fender. hes a fender certified. He has a lot of tube amps flying around his house and a lot of vintage fender guitars.

That sounds like it might be it, i hope so.

How do i get to the internal fuses?

are all the fuses the same kind? and does anyone have a diagram of how i do this?

I found 5 fuses inside the chasis in addition to the 4 on the back by the tubes. All of them look fine. I replaced the one tube fuse that was blown with a 315ma 20mm fast action fuse. I'm still getting now sound. Now what?

The same thing happened to my RM100 (the only problem I've had), and it was one of the fuses inside the chassis. Pop those out and take a good look at them. I'll bet that's the problem.

I tried that, they all look fine. I tried swapping some, didnt change anything.

start checking solder joints or take it to an amp tech. And yes, I think you can go bugging the guy about it. And this is one reason I hate even contemplating buying something sight unseen and untried used. Some people unload their problems.

Replace the preamp tubes then power tubes (if you have another amp you know is working pop those in it). I don't know what else to say except if this doesn't work it should go to a tech.

I know I would have hated to have been on the receiving end of my former JVM. Fortunately Marshall USA took it back and refunded the store.

SYNY5TER said:

i was replacing my tubes. and when i took the tubes out. something happened. i heard a big pop. and i freaked out too. and i just got new tubes. and everything lights up. did everything. and nothing. i hav no idea wats going on....

im thinking about selling all this s*&t and getting a mesa.. :evil:

Getting a MESA is the best thing you could do. No module does a MESA sound like a MESA! Plus, you don't have reliability problems. That's why many touring bands use them - great sound, highly reliable.

Well thanks, that really helps my predicament. Instead of fixing it and buying fuses, ill just buy a Triple Rec.

Wtf are you doing in a randall forum? Troll much?

Mesa Triple said:
SYNY5TER said:

im thinking about selling all this s*&t and getting a mesa.. :evil:

Getting a MESA is the best thing you could do. No module does a MESA sound like a MESA! Plus, you don't have reliability problems. That's why many touring bands use them - great sound, highly reliable.

Ummm i will fight that statement to the grave. I've had a mesa dual rec and the Pete Modded recto module destroyed my dual rec so I sold it. Mesa's are good if you want to sound like everyone else.

Both of my midi fuses are blown. Too bad 3 different radioshacks dont have the proper fuses. Or pepboys. Or home Depot.

WARNING: Thread Hijack, but not really....

Speaking of fuses, which fuses (and ratings) should I have around here as spare parts? I'm set on tubes.