Anyone ever see this explanation of Lynch modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQgcLRe0VM

Flip to the end when they are talking about the plexi and the brahma getting very close to Lynch's fave amp. The tech then describes the Grail as being the tighter module and being able to cop the earlier Dokken tones. Mr. Scary is described as being more recto/soldano-ish. Interesting..

There is not a lot of validity to his statements from a technical standpoint. The Brahma is certainly in the vein of vintage Plexi design. The Grail is traditional Rectifier design with a tighter front end (not what's on the albums he name drops). The Scary is a high gain Marshall and nothing at all in the SLO/Recto design. He is speaking tones in his head (ie: how he hears them), not from an design POV.

That said, those are my 3 favorite stock modules. :lol:

This guy's a bonehead! He came in to my shop a couple of times. As much as I loved Lynch back in the day, he'll put his name on ANYTHING for $5. I haven't heard a good song from George since like '95.
That being said, I was rockin' some Dokken last night! The other day I happened to catch 5 minutes of a behind the scenes story of the "A Nightmare On Elm Street" franchise. They interviewed the guys in Dokken about their song "Dream Warriors" from the 3rd movie. I actually loved that song when it came out! Thus the need to blast that song again. :lol:

I went to MI back in 1990. One week we noticed all of these flyers posted around the school saying "George Lynch will be attending classes. Please do not bother him. He is here to learn." Of course everyone bugged him and he lasted about a week. :)

audiomidijace said:
T I haven't heard a good song from George since like '95.

George has put out tons of great material since then.

Kapo_Polenton said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQgcLRe0VM

Flip to the end when they are talking about the plexi and the brahma getting very close to Lynch's fave amp. The tech then describes the Grail as being the tighter module and being able to cop the earlier Dokken tones. Mr. Scary is described as being more recto/soldano-ish. Interesting..

I posted about this before although I can't recall if it was here or on another forum since it was quite a while ago because I noticed that what Gerry said correct except I was surprised that he got the Grail and Scary confused with each other. His descriptions were correct except he misspoke and got the last two flipped around and so everything his said was the exactly spot on except it was for the other module. The Brahma is based on Lynch's '68 Plexi which is in the video and that is correct. The Mr. Scary module is the one that is based on 80s Dokken tones and the Grail is the rectifier based module, although I think more the early versions like the Tremoverb which was not quite has hairy sounding as the ones that came after.

Latest posts