Anyone mod their Blackface? Is it worth it?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojdogg

Reaction score
Just boxed up my Brahma to send to Dave Friedman and once that comes back I think I'm probably set between that a Friedman modded SL+ and the Blackface. Anyone get Pete or DF to mod their Blackface? Is it worth it? I'm pretty happy with it stock actually...
I'm pretty happy with the stock Brahma too though, but I'm a modaholic.

As a former owner of 2 1965 Blackface Deluxe reverbs, I think the module is ok..but not as accuratte as it could be. It would fool someone who didnt have intimate knowledge of those amps.
But to know them is to love them. And the longer you use them the more you appreciatte their ability to handle almost anything thrown at them.
I am not sure what the Deluxe Module needs...but its to sterile, and the signal seems not as round as the real deal. Sorry to use such a subjective term, but how else do you describe the Fender roundness?
Also, there is a natural compression in the original DRs (BF...NOT, NOT,NOT reissues). And a pleasent overdrive that happens when you crank em up.
I hope somebody out there invests the time to get it right.
As soon as I am confident they have the FIX..Im buying it.
GtrGeorge

I believe Larry's nick on here is LRstrat, might want to ask him, I did a blackface for him with a slight gain boost switch... he posted this on my myspace page:

The Blackface sounds AMAZING!!! It's liquid tone now. I do not know what voodoo you do to the modules, but keep doing it.
I cannot thank you enough!!!

I have a Pete BFace, I'm not sure what mods he did, he mentionmed that he made it more like the original Fender....I liked the stock a lot, but since I was gaga over Pete's work on the Tread and SL, I went all in......best clean ever! Crystal to gritty, works with a variety of guitars and styles.

I never played through a vintage BFace, but all I know is this is the best clean I ever did play. Very inspirational. Highly recommeded.

I would definetly like to hear any of the mods that really made the Deluxe Module sound like a 1965 BF DR.
THAT was the best clean Ive ever heard. Not jangly, not bright. Somehow just right.
That amp (THE BF DR) has been used on so many sessions, I think it has became one of the standard-sounds of guitars of the 1960-1970s.

Make sure you are running 6L6s in the amp, EL34s are awesome tubes but don't sound right IMHO for Fender cleans.

Pete

Cleans sound better with non el34s in it
For me the el34str and KT88 made my modded Blackface SPANK!
When I switched to a head running only el's it was too thin to my taste. a good clean sound needs a wider tonal landscape.

....I'll try that...you some how know that I stick to the El34s in my RT2/50.