Anyone using Randall MTS for Blues?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kc2eeb said:
Anyone primarily a Blues player?

Not a "primary" blues player...but a blues player nonetheless...and yep I am. Using a Egnater Mod50 w/ a Renegade 4x10 cabinet w/ either a DLX, Twin, BMAN, or COD module.

Not randall..but eh!!! It's still modular ;)

Eric

Have you ever tried, with the 6V6s, turning the master volume all the way up and really getting output tube over drive. Turns it into an old DeLuxe.

kc2eeb said:
Have you ever tried, with the 6V6s, turning the master volume all the way up and really getting output tube over drive. Turns it into an old DeLuxe.

Yep...did that w/ 6v6's and EL84s w/ Yellow Jackets.

Definitely does get a similar tone...just a bit more "polite"...but not in a bad way.

Eric

I'm not a strict blues player, but got some nice blues tones from my MTS.
On my Myspace site there's an Albert King style track which I used a Brown and a Deluxe module mixed, if you want to check it out.

I'm a blues, blues/rock guitarist sort of from the Allman Bros, Gov't Mule style of music....check out the Rod Welles Blues Band site below for 10 songs, recorded live,,,,I love my Lynchbox RM100 for the style of music I play.....It's amazing,,,,The Super V is a great Vox AC30 tone...great clean or gainy rhythums....The Brahma is a wonderful Marshall tone...The Egnater SLplus and EG4 sound like a cross between Marshall and Fender higher gain.....an amazing amp.....I think next is going to be an RM4 preamp that I'm going to use with my smaller combos 12 and 20 watters, and have a power amp in jack installed on these so I can have a small rig, but can use 4 modules and FX for the tones...very cool... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well, I'll tell you one thing. Trying to control the breakup on a deluxe can be a bit trying. I dropped a JJ 12DW7 in V2 of the module. Not only did it not cure the breakup, but the tone sucked.

Back to 12AX7s and playing with the volume knob.

Julia said:
Well, I'll tell you one thing. Trying to control the breakup on a deluxe can be a bit trying. I dropped a JJ 12DW7 in V2 of the module. Not only did it not cure the breakup, but the tone sucked.

Back to 12AX7s and playing with the volume knob.
I've heard the deluxe is a dirty module....I got a blackface for clean that I love.....with your EMG's maybe the K1 is the way to go for you

I think the question is a bit misleading. Of course you can play blues with MTS modules. Why not? It depends on what kind of blues though... B.B. King blues? Stevie Vaughan? Rory Gallagher? I play with EMGs exclusively and I get a clean sound out of my Deluxe module; granted Gain is hardly open, but still... With MTS modules I'd use the TopBoost for most of my bluesy stuff, or the Deluxe with more gain. And speaking about Rory and the like, what's wrong with the Plexi for that?

I'm a Blues/Rock player (prefer older Classic Rock) and I have a modded Deluxe that kicks butt!
If the gain is turned full on, it can get quite nasty, nearly like the Plexi (but a different tone).
Turn the gain back to 9 o' clock and it cleans up rather well.
No, not pristine clean, but enough to get by and fool some people.

BTW Rod, great stuff! You're a fine lead player. (I'm guessing that was <50% improv)

guitarcomet said:
I'm a Blues/Rock player (prefer older Classic Rock) and I have a modded Deluxe that kicks butt!
If the gain is turned full on, it can get quite nasty, nearly like the Plexi (but a different tone).
Turn the gain back to 9 o' clock and it cleans up rather well.
No, not pristine clean, but enough to get by and fool some people.

BTW Rod, great stuff! You're a fine lead player. (I'm guessing that was <50% improv)
Thankx Guitarcomet!!! Yes, it was mostly improv...seems to be what I do best.....

kc2eeb said:
Anyone primarily a Blues player?

I ran through a bunch of modules for blues and to me the Lynch Super V is amazing. Before that I tried a tweed but it just didn't breakup right. The xtc with the gain a really low volume broke up right but then was really thin. The Super V is just about perfect for an SRV tone. All my strats have Texas specials and 11-58 strings and sound huge. I definitely recommend picking the Super V up.

I'm playing the blues through some gear that would be more thought of for hard rock or metal.

I've found the 1086 module with the gain rolled back to about 8:30 to work great with my PRS SC250 with SD Blackouts.... roll the volume back a little on the neck pickup and it's velvet.... turn it up, and get a little attitude... just starts to break up. Singing highs in a sad woman's voice. Almost too much sustain... if there is such a thing.

I'm diggin' it BIG time.

I go PeteTweed when I'm feeling bluesy and it is inspiring

still waiting for someone to say "it's all in the fingers"

Just listened to Tung's Albert King track, cool stuff