Are modules very close to originals ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike P said:
My experience with Salvation Mods is that his mods are 100% dead on to the original. There is no more accurate "Plexi" in the MTS world than the SG MK22.
You should try a Duoplex! :D

But jimiyves if you want Plexi/JTM and JCM800, I think you'll be better off with a Mash-all+. The JCM800 mode on that is just perfect, nothing better. IMO

I would say the Super Clean is capable of the general Fender vibe, among other tones, and that it sounds better at this than the stock Blackface. I wouldn't say it strikes me as a dead-on imitation of any particular Fender amp. It depends on what you're looking for. I find my Super Clean to be very versatile for all of my clean tone needs, and it when you overdrive it, the sounds you get are in the ballpark of a cranked Fender (though it sounds more Silverface than Blackface to me).

I second the recommendation for the MK22 to cover Marshall tones. Although I'm surprised to hear Mike P refer to it as nailing the Plexi tone, considering he has also taken pains to point out that the amps it's based on are NOT Plexis, I do think it covers that territory pretty well in 2203 mode, and that 2204 mode handles early JCM800 type tones too. I think those amps got more cutting in the mids as they evolved, so it may or may not be your idea of a JCM800 tone.

Mike P said:
m0jo said:
You should try a Duoplex! :D

I want to, I want to!

:D
Have you tried a Mash-all+? I swear by that one for Marshall tones. (the newer ones with JCM/JTM voicing switch really opened that up :) )

By the way jimiyves , if you're going Salvado I'd recommend the Deluxe version with 3-way tight switch (tight/normal/loose), that really adds to the versatility.

m0jo said:
Have you tried a Mash-all+? I swear by that one for Marshall tones. (the newer ones with JCM/JTM voicing switch really opened that up :) )

Not yet but it's on the list. I don't find myself needing the JCM tones but I'm really curious to try the Mash-oldano. That may be my next module. :)

Are the mods close?
Stock sometimes has flavour, but biggest problem is dark sounding, for example cleans are not bad, but direct comparison with modded ones is not possible. But not bad are Brahma, XTC, Grail, Clean....

Modifications are new level. I made a lot of A/B comparisons so I now, that lot of mods are dead on with originals. Of course is some special cases like recto with its power amp section, but for me for example recto flavour from my X66 is enough. But that?s me and my ears.

My GTRide (personal tuned version of chupacabra) is absolutely brilliant, and I hope soon you can hear in my pagan metal project.....brilliant, but with dark sounding guitar (which I have one) and very, very dry exact sound (I guess that most of guitarists would not like this feeling, but for me is important).

So Salvations Oranges are perfect and tested many times with originals, Matchvox is crunch paradise (our coleague Pedro work in Beatles revival and he is the biggest fan of Queen.... who can prove it better? :)
Benzin ... hear the Muse sample, Custom 3 is great and my main rhythm sound, Twinface deluxe is best for taking stompboxes....etc etc etc

But new revolution is here now.... Salvation blend feature (Duoplex, H-Watt, Baseman for now), this is tweaker?s godsend, and you dialed EVERYTHING, believe or not.
Now I work with H-Watt (great old school beast) and wanted some solo sound. Normally with RM20 boost it sux. But with blend (dark/bright channel) I quickly find nice sound as I need.... more cream? no problem, more biting? no problem at all.

PS: comment from studio sound engineer: Salvation mods sounds like amps after most of mixing steps and adjustments. You don?t need work with this sound so much like with others.

Mashaldano is definately the way to go to me.....The 800/jose setting is a little warmer than teh MAshall plus when I was a/bing them and the high gain hybrid is as well compared to the JVM,though the JVM is close to the real deal...just seemed a little sterile compared to the mashaldano.....being a purist though,you could probably have one made with the 800/plexi and hybrid mode...that would be very cool with my new found interest in plexi type tones....I liked the mk22 but am going to try a brown eye now....I liked the clips if the BE a little more..but teh Mk22 was a cool module

alowerdeep said:
Mashaldano is definately the way to go to me.....The 800/jose setting is a little warmer than teh MAshall plus when I was a/bing them and the high gain hybrid is as well compared to the JVM,though the JVM is close to the real deal...just seemed a little sterile compared to the mashaldano.....being a purist though,you could probably have one made with the 800/plexi and hybrid mode...that would be very cool with my new found interest in plexi type tones....I liked the mk22 but am going to try a brown eye now....I liked the clips if the BE a little more..but teh Mk22 was a cool module

If you like the MK22 and Browneye clips, get a Judge!! You wont be disappointed. And there was a poster here who asked Dave Friedman about the Judge and he said it was basically a Brown eye with a saturation switch. It is the ultimate modded Plexi tone for me.

hyenik said:
PS: comment from studio sound engineer: Salvation mods sounds like amps after most of mixing steps and adjustments. You don?t need work with this sound so much like with others.
I'd definitly agree with that!! They are so easy to record with. :D

m0jo said:
hyenik said:

Somewhat of a biased opinion here.... 8) but at some point I will have to try one of these Salvation mods. Clips of the Salvados and Mash Oldanos sound fantastic. Mojo- What is your affiliation? Are you a modder? Or do you do the faceplates? Just curious?

"PS: comment from studio sound engineer: Salvation mods sounds like a mps after most of mixing steps and adjustments. You don?t need work with this sound so much like with others."
..yes, thats definetly true!!! And Salvations' demos are VERY well engineered. Best Ive ever heard!!!!!! That Queen stuff was nothing short of incredible!

But back OT
are they exact???
Answer: Close enough. Id like to see better, but I know (in my heart) that the only things where they fall short is stuff you probably would find impractical to own...the proper transformers, the exact speakers, the different cabs etc etc
Micheal Wegner uses MTS....doesnt that say it enough???? He could be using anything..and he has the Rack of Doom. Nuff Said.

GtrGeorge!

Excuse me if I missed someone else mentioning this, but the best thing about the high gain modded modules is how quiet they are. I have a ultra xl and it is a really good tone, but the noise compared to the mamba I have is so drastic. The mamba has lots of gain but is very quiet. The ultra xl on the other hand is outta control. Great tone, but lots of fead back and hiss. I am able to keep it at bay with a boss ns-2.
Just wanted to throw that out there.

I need, for my music :

Progressive metal tones (Dream Theater, Symphony X, ?) :

- clean tone (I said Fender because I love the clean sound, especially Deluxe)
- rythm tone (modern rythm, I love the Diezel VH4 sound)
- lead tone (80-90?s sound : CAE 3+SE, Soldano or other, wide and organic sound)

Progressive rock (70?s rock, Yes Genesis, Camel, ?) :

- clean tone (I think Fender too)
- rythm/lead tone (I said Dumble because this is a sound I love)

I need, for cover (I don?t have a cover band now, it?s just to play at home) and studio recording (recording for other people or band) :

- Fender clean tone (the same as for my music)
- ? standard ? clean tone (I would say a Marshall clean tone)
- Marshall tones : Plexi, JCM 800
- Vox tones : (to play Queen songs and for recording)
- Mesa Boogie tones : Mark II C+ and maybe Dual rectifier (to play old Metallica songs until the black album, Dream Theater, Symphony X, ?)

So I think that I maybe don?t need a lot of modules :

- a clean module (is there a module to have Fender Deluxe tone and a ? standard ? clean as Marshall ? The Jaded Faith super clean ?)
- a Marshall module (the Salvation Mash all+ seems to be very versatile)
- a lead module (maybe the Salvado Deluxe, can it do Dumble sounds ?)
- a rythm module (Diezel VH4 or Mesa dual rectifier, Salvation Benzin or Dreadplate ?)
- a Vox module (Salvation Matchvox, can it do clean and overdrive sound ?) which don?t need to be often in the RM4 preamp

I live In Europe, in France, that?s why I prefer Salvation modules, since it?s more easy for shipping.

Thanks.

rblyn said:
m0jo said:
hyenik said:

Somewhat of a biased opinion here.... 8) but at some point I will have to try one of these Salvation mods. Clips of the Salvados and Mash Oldanos sound fantastic. Mojo- What is your affiliation? Are you a modder? Or do you do the faceplates? Just curious?
Not biased at all, I have stock modules (and other amps) and I have Salvation modules, so I can make the judgement that the Salvation Mods are much more easy to record with.
Of course I can't say whether they are easyer to work with than other modders' modules since I don't have those. ;)

I do most of the graphic design for Salvation Mods, so I design a lot of the faceplates (Mash-all, Chupa, S1S0, Shiver, Twinface, artist customs etc.), the website and the promotion material like stickers and stuff like that. Besides that I talk with Anthony a lot about new idea's and possible mods or improvements of mods. The 3-way tight switch was my idea. I don't actually do any modding or production for Salvation mods, only design and idea's.

m0jo said:
rblyn said:
m0jo said:
hyenik said:

Not biased at all, I have stock modules (and other amps) and I have Salvation modules, so I can make the judgement that the Salvation Mods are much more easy to record with.
Of course I can't say whether they are easyer to work with than other modders' modules since I don't have those. ;)

I do most of the graphic design for Salvation Mods, so I design a lot of the faceplates (Mash-all, Chupa, S1S0, Shiver, Twinface, artist customs etc.), the website and the promotion material like stickers and stuff like that. Besides that I talk with Anthony a lot about new idea's and possible mods or improvements of mods. The 3-way tight switch was my idea. I don't actually do any modding or production for Salvation mods, only design and idea's.

Very cool, those faceplates are all sweet on the Salvos. Great work! I will take the plunge here soon- from your clips and from what everyone seems to think- the Salvado or Salvado Deluxe is the way to go.

rblyn said:
Very cool, those faceplates are all sweet on the Salvos. Great work! I will take the plunge here soon- from your clips and from what everyone seems to think- the Salvado or Salvado Deluxe is the way to go.
Thanks. :)

The Salvado (Deluxe) is definitly the way to go, it rocks!
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11191689 :D

gonna have to jump in here for some Diezel/Benzin love.
I use my Salvo Benzin for my main rythm tone as well.

Had a chance to compare it to my buddy's VH4, and with my RM4 going into the power section of his Diezel, we couldn't tell a **** difference. absolutely stunning and super underrated module. nothing else like it in the MTS world.

also i can vouch for the same experience with the Salvo Stonerverb and a real Rockerverb 100.

Mikal69 said:
gonna have to jump in here for some Diezel/Benzin love.
I use my Salvo Benzin for my main rythm tone as well.

Had a chance to compare it to my buddy's VH4, and with my RM4 going into the power section of his Diezel, we couldn't tell a **** difference. absolutely stunning and super underrated module. nothing else like it in the MTS world.

also i can vouch for the same experience with the Salvo Stonerverb and a real Rockerverb 100.

Amazing that one of these mods can stand toe to toe with a $4000 amp. I have had the chance to do the same with a Mesa and the Randall stuff holds it own and even surpasses the original. Thats cool you had the chance to A/B that. Does your power amp change the voicing much vs the VH4? Have to admit, the Benzin has my attention too!

A good tube power amp with the right tubes will keep you very very close. I'm using a ada microtube 200 live and still get 90% there. Closer than I ever got with my friends axefx

Most of these poweramps are extremely similar anyway. There are some outsiders like Recto's and the Bogner Uberschall.