Best Marshall JCM 800 Mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear the Sacred Groove MK22 is almost dead on for early JCM800 tones.

They're both good in their own rights. I tried both to make up my mind. Everyone is gonna give an opinion of both these modders. Both are highly praised by folks here.

I am a bit biased because Ive only had the JF RR. Very cool module IMO.
You know I have to add that I traded for a newer black faced SL+ and its pretty good. With the right tubes, in my case Ruby HGs, darn good tones that are really good. I was going through a bunch of my modules tonight, trying different tubes and such getting ready for clips tomorrow. My wife heard the SL+ and said it was very close to whos music I was playing. I pulled out the Wylde and Morello riffs and it fit well. I know the newer SL+s have a few changes then the early ones. Maybe that is why its better than the chrome faced one I had.

Ive owned alot of those modules and the Mk22 is more along the lines of the plexi,not jcm800.....if you are looking for a dead on,stock 800 tone,the mashaldano is where it is at...has the 800 setting on it,the modded 800 is also great....others are good to,but in my experience,the mashaldano sounds exactly like the 800 I used to have......

I really want the 59RR for the Randy Rhodes tones, but if it covers JCM 800 very well (specifically Zakk's Tone) than I think I have a winner.

Very true, if your thinking of getting the 59rr, you won't be disappointed at all, it will nail what you've listed + a whole lot more.

SteelDragon said:
I really want the 59RR for the Randy Rhodes tones, but if it covers JCM 800 very well (specifically Zakk's Tone) than I think I have a winner.

I think the 1959 will get you in the ballpark, but you may be better off asking Rob to tailor a Marshall mod towards ZW if that is your main goal. There is a bit more girth and menace to the ZW800 tone than the friendlier tones on the 1959- splitting hairs a bit, the 1959 can do it, just there may be an improved option for BLS

The 1959RR flat out NAILS Randy Rhoads, and is also stellar on those lo/mid gain Marshall tones

The Masholdano is a kick *** choice, but there is a price difference to consider..I think Salvo has one in the clasifieds right now.

alowerdeep said:
Ive owned alot of those modules and the Mk22 is more along the lines of the plexi,not jcm800.....

I don't have much experience with many actual Marshall amps, but weren't the early JCM800 2203s and 2204s mostly the same as their JMP counterparts that the MK22 was designed after? When I think 'Plexi' I think of a non-master volume amp whose main source of crunch comes from cranking it up really loud so the power tubes start to distort, which is pretty different than the master volume preamp gain-based sound of the JMP. The MK22 in 2204 mode does some pretty vicious '80s riffage. Probably not right for Randy Rhoads tones though.

I hear where your comming from cranky. To my ears, My explorer with emgs and 59RR has alot more girth and balls than my les Paul with a jb. The explorer nails Zakks tone with Ozzy IMO

The Mk22 has a bigger bass,a little crispier than the JCM series Marshalls were,it isnt as glassy sounding....I guess it just depends on what you want,but is you are looking for an exact base tone of the 800 the MAshaldano is the way to go..ive ownder voodoo's,jf's,gigmods,and other modded marshalls and it is the only one that could pass the blind test in my opinion....not to say the others are bad,just depends on what you want I guess....but the Salvo is dead on withe the stock 800 tone,the jose is great too.......so if that is what you are after,I would spend the little extra money

I have the RR59 and an SL++. They are both good. But to my ears, the 1987 with a clean boost is exactly how I imagine a JCM800 should like (based on reference recordings since I never owned one).

The RR59 really shines in it's JMP settings but the hot rodded mods are not as tight and clear as the 1987.

The SL++ is also great. More agressive and needs no boost with the right pickup, but as I mentionned in the forum a couple of times, it is definitely scooped so as use a post-eq to get it where I want to.

Curious to know how the SL+ and the SL++ differ.

I have a 59RR, MK22, Mashall+, and have owned (and have another en route) Masholdano...

I use each for different things...MK22 is a great hotrodded plexi and approaches JCM800 territory...59RR and Mashall+ can both deliver a full range of Marshall tones...From balls out to balls in... :)

Don't forget that a JCM800 isn't high gain.. a lot of the mods have more gain on tap. Think JMP and that is prob what you're jcm800 will have on tap. Any more gain and you are talking 2205 channel switcher.

The judge is a good stocker I think. SL+ witha few mods is JCM800 with more gain. Standard Brahma is closest gain wise. That's my take.. because I just finished playing my 800!

JF59RR is >> than a JMP-1 IMHO

JF59RR in JCM mode is as good or BETTER than any Marshall I've owned

new/vintage JCM800's
2555SL
6100LM
JCM900 (every version !!)

never tried EMG's with my 59RR but I'll bet its **** near spot on
ZW. I use pedals and the 59RR takes everyone like a champ

Rob knows how to get those legendary marshall tones without a doubt !

fuzzboat said:
JF59RR is >> than a JMP-1 IMHO

JF59RR in JCM mode is as good or BETTER than any Marshall I've owned

new/vintage JCM800's
2555SL
6100LM
JCM900 (every version !!)

never tried EMG's with my 59RR but I'll bet its **** near spot on
ZW. I use pedals and the 59RR takes everyone like a champ

Rob knows how to get those legendary marshall tones without a doubt !

Well, the thing about Zakk's early tones (at least up until 2000) is that he used late model JCM800's (which were much different than the first version) with not one, but two Boss Distortion pedals. One was always on for his rhythm sound and the second was engaged for his solo sound.

Later in Pride & Glory and while touring, he added two Dunlop Univibe pedals, one for chorus and the other for rotary, although at times, he'd have both set to rotary.

Just got my Mash-all. This thing rocks. I have a friend coming over tomorrow with an old Marshall plexi. We'll see how it compares...