Best Randall "Own Brand" Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC Widowmaker

Reaction score
Something I've always wondered, since getting my RM100, is whether it gives Randall amplifiers much credibility to be copying other manufacturers amp sounds. I mean, sure it's great that they designed such a versatile tool, but using a Randall amp to try and achieve a sound designed by a non-Randall amp is kinda like asking your girlfriend to dress up as Megan Fox ;). I'd like to try and keep at least one Randall original in my rig.

Anyway, in honour of Randall, what do you feel are the best modules which represent an original Randall sound? How do they compare to the Marshall, Fender, Orange etc copy modules?

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm relatively new to the world of Randall as well. But from experience, the Ultra, Ultra XL and Modern are all Randall's own sound - not trying to emulate any other amps.

All I'm sure there are plenty more out there, but these are the ones I've had experience with and can recommend. I think the 1086 is pretty unique to Randall, but people say it's a Marshall/Mesa hybrid.

Off the top of my head I think the only original Randall modules are Clean, Modern, Ultra Lead, Ultra, Ultra XL...I've used them all except the Ultra Lead...so I'd have to say the XL is the ultimate Randall tone, pure high gain.

Greg

gweb said:
Off the top of my head I think the only original Randall modules are Clean, Modern, Ultra Lead, Ultra, Ultra XL...I've used them all except the Ultra Lead...so I'd have to say the XL is the ultimate Randall tone, pure high gain.

Greg
Yup! For "Randalls" own.....
The Ultra XL.
Not a copycat and its mean as hell! 8)
Signature models?
Modded out 1086! :D

I am totally up for a fresh ,new original Module. Theres more to good tone besides the Marshall or Fender world-view.

Agreed George. Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Generally, from reading this forum, RM owners seem to be more enamoured with the Marshall or Mesa copies, rather than Randall's own modules. Wondered if there was a more balanced consensus.

A further question: Are any of Randall's own modules good for lesser-gain, more vintage 70s and 80s sounds?

Randall is pretty much super high gain stuff, except the Clean which is too clean, haha. I was able to mod my Modern to get more of a chunky, dirty sound, rather than high gain, but there are other modules better suited for that IMO.

Greg

DC Widowmaker said:
Something I've always wondered, since getting my RM100, is whether it gives Randall amplifiers much credibility to be copying other manufacturers amp sounds. I mean, sure it's great that they designed such a versatile tool, but using a Randall amp to try and achieve a sound designed by a non-Randall amp is kinda like asking your girlfriend to dress up as Megan Fox ;). I'd like to try and keep at least one Randall original in my rig.

Anyway, in honour of Randall, what do you feel are the best modules which represent an original Randall sound? How do they compare to the Marshall, Fender, Orange etc copy modules?
Ultra and Ultra XL are supposed to be Randall's own amp voicings. It's just kinda coincidental that the Ultra XL sounds a lot like a 5150, and people love it and the Ultra.

And wouldn't this also apply to Behringer, Vox, Line6, Fender, and every other company that has created modeling amps/amp modelers?

Plus using the MTS series isn't to copy ONE sound of another amp, it's so you can get whatever sounds from whichever amps you want (with the RM4 you can get 4 different amp's sounds in one package, 3 for the RM100, and 2 for the RM50. But yeah, I guess the RM20 is just one, although you CAN switch that module out).

And we don't just have Marshall and Fender tones.

We have:
4 Marshalls
3 Fenders
2 Mesas (3 if the UltraCurve is a Mark, 4 if you count Ultra Lead)
2 Vox
3 Hybrids (the KH modules, hybrids of Marshall and Mesa, KH1 is a chopped up Fender))
2 Randall
1 Bogner/Carvin
1 Soldano

Not counting the modded/copied modules by Salvation and Pete.

Of course. Don't get me wrong Shinozoku. The RM concept is genius and I'm a big fan. Fender, for example, might have dabbled in amp modelling but then they have some 'legendary status' amps. I was just wondering if everyone considers Randall's own amps to be of the same legendary status, and if so are they represented by any of the modules?

Yes they do :) And they are, and those modules happen to be the Ultra and Ultra XL :)

Oh, and I forgot to incorporate the Brown and Modern in there, not to mention a very tubey version of a Roland JC120 in the Clean module.