Best SL+ Modification?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC Widowmaker

Reaction score
I know this is probably covered in other threads, but in a million different places. Difficult to digest. So I want opinions here if that's alright. I'm eyeing up an SL+ but I'd like to have it modded to be the best it can be. Who do I go to and what alterations should I request? Also, who can offer the best value mod?

Ask rob(Jaded Faith) for his VHT mod. I've heard that thing is awesome and its a good price too. I need to get myself another SL+ :)

Thanks. I used to own a VHT Pitbull and loved it. Traded it for the Randall because of the sheer volume. Isn't the VHT tone quite different from the SL+? I'd have said so. Still, worth considering.

i agree with sending a module rob's way for any modification,.... pete, trace or anthony for that matter. no harm in asking for advice but ask yourself the following first........

what do you want from the module? what is the module not producing that your hearing in your head?

thats the sound i'm usually chasing.

bhuard75 said:
i agree with sending a module rob's way for any modification,.... pete, trace or anthony for that matter. no harm in asking for advice but ask yourself the following first........
Thanks. I've never had anything modded before so I don't know who to contact, who's good, or who has produced the best sounding SL+ mods.

bhuard75 said:
what do you want from the module? what is the module not producing that your hearing in your head?
It's more that I want it to sound better than stock. A better quality version of the stock tone. And besides, this is why I started the thread - to ask if anyone considers certain SL+ modifications essential, and if so, what?

he dc

thats better information!! if your looking to improve the stock sound of the sl+, usually people here go for a warmth and clarity mod, they play with some bass cap values to tighten the low end. the gain can be bumped up a little. after getting the module back you can further experiment with some better pre-amp tubes to tweek the sound further. rob and pete are probably the best for that type of mod. rob will prob have a faster turn around time. great to deal with, so is pete.

DC Widowmaker said:
Thanks. I used to own a VHT Pitbull and loved it. Traded it for the Randall because of the sheer volume. Isn't the VHT tone quite different from the SL+? I'd have said so. Still, worth considering.

Yes it is different, BUT it's the one module that you can get modded for a really good price to get that sweet VHT tone. I'm dying to get that sound but I gotta find a used SL+ first. Ask Mailman about it, he has one.

Excellent! Thanks again bhuard75. I was considering a gain switch too. But what you've given me are some great suggestions. How do I get in touch with these guys?

grunge782 said:
Yes it is different, BUT it's the one module that you can get modded for a really good price to get that sweet VHT tone. I'm dying to get that sound but I gotta find a used SL+ first. Ask Mailman about it, he has one.
Got ya. Sounds good.

Anyone else?

rob is jadedfaith on the forum
pete is okstrat on the forum. check his gigmods sub-forum if you go that route.

DC Widowmaker said:
Yes the VHT sounds way different then the SL+ 'stock'....
Rob modded my SL+ into the VHT mod and it sounds NOTHING like a SL+.
Freaking love it! Check into it! :D

I have mods from Pete (SL+), Anthony, VooDoo (Jose), DFriedman (HBE)

The PeteSL+ continues to be at the very top of my list- it has 800 on a switch (the other side is more of a scooped JCM2000 sound) and a 3 way bass cap that yields a ton of options. I love ZWylde, I asked for it and I got it in spades. The gain can be cut down to cool dirty tones, the bass cap is always adjusted according to material, room, cabinets, guitar.... this is a killer module! The Marshall faceplate and knobs are an outstanding bonus. Pete takes what you like about a module and enhances it's sound to a world class professional level.

Anthony's work is truly exciting...I was a bit hesitant to send my stuff so far away to -at the time- a virtual uinknown. But rest assured, he has many happy customers worldwide now and for good reason- he has a great service- delivers amp tones no one else does, and does it with great art work, solid communication, and reasonable turnaround time. I'm a huge Salvation fan-I have a few more on order. Anthony's clips are great and they sound even better in person. This is a great option if you're looking for a specific amp.

VooDoo Jose Mod- this is a cool module I picked up- inside the cage is a gain adjustment- very useful option. This mod does not need a boost if you're anti-pedal- it has tons of gain. Very quiet as well, surprising for the gain on tap. The low end is not as pronounced as modern hard rock and metal, but the clarity and gain is outstanding. In some ways it reminds me of the JCM900/2000 tones- which i like a lot, though that is an individualized assessment

DF Hairy Brown Eye: This mod has tons of gain- boost pedals actually diminish the tone! It is a gain machine, make no mistake- that dirty half driven sound is not it's forte at all. It has pronounced EVH type mids , so if you want a more modern tone perhaps the Black Eye is the way to go (never tried it though). This mod may sound beter on non Les Paul guitars- on my LP it is almost 'too much'. There is a some noise that accompanies the gain, but not enough to bother me much. This is a one trick pony compared to the others, but the trick is a good one.

I never heard a Jaded Faith (Rob) Plexi, but I'd like to, that seems to a growing fan favorite. Someone needs to post some clips of Rob's work!

Now if your SL+ is relatively new- 800 already installed- I've never heard that stock version.

All of the mods I have are clear upgrades and worth the money- it turns your mts into a whole new boutique beast. I am grateful that we have many options to choose from.

Hope reading this book helps!

-Ray

Awesome info Ray. Thanks. And boy am I jealous of the kit you've got. New to modding, so this is all invaluable. I like the liquid distortion of the SL+ but imagine it could be tightened up for my taste. I don't like dirty, gravelly distortion too much so a gain reduction switch might be nice to help dial in something closer to a Plexi/Brahma.

Anyways, the specifics are probably best left between me and the guy doing the modification.

Pete is probably the way to go here (Rob's VHT mod turns the SL+ into a VHT Deliverance), as he simply enhances the stock module's sound to the point of decadence form what I've heard. He can also work with you on the gain reduction, but as for tightening up the sound: The module is tight as HELL stock! Unless by "tighter" you mean MORE bass (which is actually the opposite of tight).

I think Pete may be your best option here :)

My Salvation Mash all mod is in waiting position (too many mods and too less time :)
Basic idea (now) is jcm/jvm switch, but we will see what will be on the end :)

A TS9 or OD808 in the front. its the best hundred bucks you'll spend and the most easily reversible mod ever :)

crankyrayhanky said:
I never heard a Jaded Faith (Rob) Plexi, but I'd like to, that seems to a growing fan favorite. Someone needs to post some clips of Rob's work!
-Ray
Working on that now, hopefully within the month. I have been crazy busy lately. There is some great talent out there and it's really hard to go wrong.