Blowing out the cobwebs and popping cherries

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've had my RM100 for that last few years, but I got this amp just after I stopped gigging with my coverband at the time, and have only done acoustic gigs since then. Anyhow, my old coverband called me earlier this week to fill in last night. A good chance to fire the RM100 up and also see how my PRS McCarty sounds live (another item that I hadn't had the opportunity to gig).
Anyhow, the night before the gig, I turned the amp on for a bit to sort out my sounds and figure out what modules to take, should I use an OD for a solo boost, variety of tones, etc. Since I knew it was going to be a small stage, I tried to go as minimalist as possible and decided to only take along my Korg Pitchblack as the only floor item (besides the RM100 footswitch).
I settled on Blackface, Friedman Brahma (Brown eye mod) and Eggie SL++. Being only a 4 piece band with one guitar, bass, drums and vocals then I wouldn't need much to get heard for solo's. I set the Brahma with the gain cranked and the SL++ with gain about 3 o'clock and figured that I would use each dirty channel depending on the song and also ride the guitar volume for lower gain settings.
Anyhow, set up at the gig and during sound check the guys kept telling me to turn up! (Hmm... that could be a first for guitar players). The gig was running off amps with only vocals and kick mic running through the PA. I was running an Ulbrick oversized 2x12 (similar size to a 4x10 cab). This cab is extra deep and has nice tight sound with great low end response). At the end of soundcheck, I had channel volumes at about 3 o'clock for Blackface and 9-10 o'clock for Brahma and SL++. Master volume was about 2 o'clock! :)twisted:), Density noon, Presence 9 o'clock, running quad of JJ E34L's. I've had the amp loud before (running a 20 metre speaker cable across to the other side of the house where the cab was miked up), but this was killer.
Anyhow we played the gig and I ended up only using the SL++ for the last song of the night as it required a bit more gain (for some 80's Bon Jovi and pinch harmonics). The Brahma had a chunky Green Day type crunch that just sung through out the night. Solo's and chords sounded fantastic and having the amp cranked so much, it was so so easy to get great controlled feedback. I rolled the volume back for songs that required less gain (lost a little bit of the high end when I did this, but this is due to the McCarty).
Throughout my years when I played with this band, we had 2 guitarists and I always was running with a smaller rig with my amp being a combo , but I have never been so happy with my tone as I was last night. This is the rig I should have been running when I was playing with those guys (pity this was before I became educated with the MTS line). So with the cherry being popped (on guitar, amp and cab), the amp purring away happily all night, and everything chord making me grin more, I am so glad I have bought this amp (it could weigh a little less, but **** it sounds good). The bass player said "It's good to hear a nice guitar sound for a change" (they've had a range of fill-in's over the last few months while the regular guitarist has moved interstate for the next year).
This gig was a trial for a residency, and I'm helping them out again for the same thing next week. I'll have to see if I use the Custom 22 instead of the McCarty this time.
If anyone in Melbourne, Australia wants to hear this in action, head on down to Revellers in Chapel St from about 10pm on Friday (4th Dec).
Cheers

Latest posts