Syn-2 is a given, the rest of the signal chain, not so sure! NEED HELP!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infernalgr

Reaction score
Hello guys
I've been a long time fractal user but i think it's time to move back to tubes. So after much consideration i've come to the conclusion that i'll get a Syn-2 with two modules.
So far so good. My problem is with how i'm gonna use it, or incorporate it into the rest of my gear.

I don't gig.
I don't want a cab or head in my studio, and even if i did, i wouldn't have space for it.
I only want to record and monitor through my studio speakers.
I don't wanna use the stock cab sim that the SYN-2 has.
I want to use an external cab sim, preferably in rack form, but one that does power amp sim also.
I want to include a Eventide H90 into my sound, so i can get stereo in on my DAW. So i guess that means that the cab sim would have to be stereo?
And a D.I signal unprocessed would be nice to have as well.

And lastly i want the whole system NOT to be tied to my pc. Meaning for example not needing a plugin for cab sim, effects etc.

Most of the solution i've looked at, either lack power amp simulation, some are not rack mountable, others are mono, so i'm quite confused.

Can you help sort things out? Thank you
If the whole thing above was too long, the TLDR is i want the best possible way to hear the modules in my daw, and in stereo, with effects, and low volumes.

I just sold my Fractal Axe3 and am putting together something quite similar. Mine may not be your exact solution, but I will describe what I am doing as it may give you some ideas.... and I'll describe it "chronologically" down the signal chain from guitar to speaker.

1. Guitar into an H90 for effects that would traditionally go in front of an amp -- overdrive/distortion/fuzz, compression, wah, phaser, chorus, etc.
  2. Stereo out of the H90 into 2 different Syn2 chassis.... I am basically setting up a stereo Synergy Amp Rig. The Modules can be mixed between the two Syn2 chassis for some interesting stereo combinations. For example, the OS module + the BMan module for a nice lower gain pairing.
  3. Out of each Syn2 into a Syn5050 Power Amp (stereo 50 watts per side). Why model the power amp when you can use real Tubes in a Fryette design?
  4. Out of the Syn5050 (the 2 powered outs intended for speakers) into 2 Two-Notes Captor Xs (Loadbox + IR simulation). Each Captor X has Stereo outs (though you could use one as a DI out and the other as you guitar signal complete with IR).
  5. At this point it is confusing to describe because one Captor X is processing one of the Syn2's modules, while the other Captor X is processing the other of the Syn2's modules. Let's call them Captor X-A and Captor X-B.
    1. I'll take the LEFT out of Captor X-A and the RIGHT out of Captor X-B and send those to my Audio interface as my Stereo Dry Guitar signal... comprised of 2 different Synergy modules (or two of the same) and 2 different IRs (or again, two of the same). Very flexible.
    2. Then I'll take the RIGHT out of Captor X-A and the LEFT out of Captor X-B and send those to a second H90 for a 100% wet stereo pair (Delays, Reverbs, Pitch FX, Etc.). The stereo outs from this H90 also goes to my interface for (let's call it) a Stereo FX Channel.
You could obviously scale this back: 1 Syn2, 1 Syn5050 (or other power amp), and 1 Captor X. That would likely suit your needs?

Hope this helps.

I just sold my Fractal Axe3 and am putting together something quite similar. Mine may not be your exact solution, but I will describe what I am doing as it may give you some ideas.... and I'll describe it "chronologically" down the signal chain from guitar to speaker.

1. Guitar into an H90 for effects that would traditionally go in front of an amp -- overdrive/distortion/fuzz, compression, wah, phaser, chorus, etc.
  2. Stereo out of the H90 into 2 different Syn2 chassis.... I am basically setting up a stereo Synergy Amp Rig. The Modules can be mixed between the two Syn2 chassis for some interesting stereo combinations. For example, the OS module + the BMan module for a nice lower gain pairing.
  3. Out of each Syn2 into a Syn5050 Power Amp (stereo 50 watts per side). Why model the power amp when you can use real Tubes in a Fryette design?
  4. Out of the Syn5050 (the 2 powered outs intended for speakers) into 2 Two-Notes Captor Xs (Loadbox + IR simulation). Each Captor X has Stereo outs (though you could use one as a DI out and the other as you guitar signal complete with IR).
  5. At this point it is confusing to describe because one Captor X is processing one of the Syn2's modules, while the other Captor X is processing the other of the Syn2's modules. Let's call them Captor X-A and Captor X-B.
    1. I'll take the LEFT out of Captor X-A and the RIGHT out of Captor X-B and send those to my Audio interface as my Stereo Dry Guitar signal... comprised of 2 different Synergy modules (or two of the same) and 2 different IRs (or again, two of the same). Very flexible.
    2. Then I'll take the RIGHT out of Captor X-A and the LEFT out of Captor X-B and send those to a second H90 for a 100% wet stereo pair (Delays, Reverbs, Pitch FX, Etc.). The stereo outs from this H90 also goes to my interface for (let's call it) a Stereo FX Channel.
You could obviously scale this back: 1 Syn2, 1 Syn5050 (or other power amp), and 1 Captor X. That would likely suit your needs?

Hope this helps.

Yes quite helpfull thank you.
I was thinking something along those lines, although it would require a syn 50/50 also.

So get the Syn-2 into the 50-50 and then to the Fryette power load IR.
This way i can have an external cab also at low volumes, but also get a signal with a true tube power amp included, and then though cab sims to my daw.
I can also have a DI without anything on it for later reamping if needed.
The H90 could be placed either on the syn-2 in stereo or in the Powerload IR to split the signal to stereo for my DAW. i'll use it only for effects so it will only need to be in the fx loop.

So I have a question about how to hook up my g major into my synergy 2 into my randall rm50 combo oh and I have a 3band parametric eq I want to put in the chain as well or I have a mxr 10 band eq ,whichever is going to be better tone wise....so help me put this into my rack and make it all work please

The Axe FX power amp sim is probably better than anything else you are trying to do aside from buying a load box and tube power amp. It would weigh much less and take up less space too. Why not simplify this whole thing and run the Syn-2 into the AxeFX for power amp, effects, and IRs?

Otherwise, the power station can self attenuate if you run a cable from speaker out to load in. That would be much easier than half the stuff above.

From experience, the analog cab sim is meh. The two notes power amp sim is pretty bad too

Last edited:

Latest posts