Bogner Ecstasy?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning to pick up a Barber Small Fry, which according to the Gearmanndude gets ya in Dumble tone territory for $150 with no waiting list. Zen drives have a fairly long waiting list although anything is going to have to wait right now. I just blew the budget by getting a Gibson J45. My Ovation had some fret/neck issues that couldn't be resolved without a major loss of funds by the store so that it was cheaper to take it back. And the store took it back for full credit on a trade up.

The Gibson J45 ($2399) is the finest acoustic I've played for under $3,000. I just went for what was going to do the job and which was the easiest to play and best sounding. Down to two: that one and a Martin Andy Griffith limited edition signature (with all docs and signed inside the body and on the fretboard) which was $3100 used. I figured it was worth it since I've noticed I've got at least one acoustic track on everything I've recorded.

But I've heard the Zen and Small Fry and some Fulltone stuff, and that Blue Classic channel is miles smoother. I'll probably try out a Small Fry or just order a Zen Drive since I could flip it on ebay and make $100 profit if it doesn't work out.

I've always liked that Carlton/Ford sound. Very pleasant on the ear. But if I can get a good deal on a stock XTC used, I might consider doing the mod on it.

Julia said:
I've always liked that Carlton/Ford sound. Very pleasant on the ear. But if I can get a good deal on a stock XTC used, I might consider doing the mod on it.
how or where are you going to do the mod on the XTC for that dumble/Carlton/Ford tone?
I can see the XTC being able to cut that tone. I used to run it with my Les Paul, loaded with P90s, stick an AC Booster in front and it got within the ballpark anyway.

Julia,

Don't waste your time with a Barber Small Fry. I owned a Bogner 101B and the Blue Channel is my "ultimate" sound. After I sold the 101B I bought a Small Fry thinking it would get me close. It didn't even come close. In fact, no pedal I've tried has come close.

There is something really special about the Blue Channel on the Bogner.

Any modder who tries to attempt to clone this tone using the XTC module - I wouldn't buy a modded module from you unless I know you owned the actual amp and used it as the actual tone reference.

If someone can pull it off. I would really be interested in buying.

Here is another tone reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK0oD3dXAlA

Hear the woodiness, the grit, but warm and smooth at the same time? No fizz at all.

Nice. About the only thing I've heard pull it off other than a Bogner is a Fractal Axe FX.

Same with the Carlton/Ford sound.

Julia said:
Nice. About the only thing I've heard pull it off other than a Bogner is a Fractal Axe FX.

Same with the Carlton/Ford sound.

I agree, though that new Bogner Brixton 12 watt amp coming out soon gets dang dang close! Really loving that sound.

But I would really like to see one of the module modders go strictly after the Bogner Blue (non plexi-mode) sound.