Brahma just came in...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Reaction score
and this module smokes!

Out of the Plexi, SL+ and 1086 I have, it is my favourite. Great gnarly tight and gainy tone with a solid low end. Lots more gain, tighter and edgier than the plexi.

Dave Friedman said on another forum that up until a few months ago Randall was not building these to true spec and the Brahma could be modded to correct specs to sound better. The unit I have sounds supreme stock - does anyone know if Randall has corected this lately?

Mike

well if it is gainier and tighter than the plexi ,they did something to it .
that mod had not a lot of bottom end .and really less gain than the plexi if I recall

Yeah, Randall changed the recipe or it's been modded. I've modded a few - the stockers had anemic bass and weren't as gainy as a plexi. Nice tone, just not what I'd reach for if I didn't have an overdrive pedal to boost it unless I was able to turn my master volume to 12 :)

i like my brahma but it is lacking bass. ill probably send it to get modded eventually. until then i just crank the bass all the way up on the module. if yours wasnt modded than randall must have updated their specs. the serial # on my module starts with 0711, so it may have been from november of 2007? im not sure how all of that works.

My Brahma serial number is 0811R0022 - November 2008? Not sure what the other numbers could be, anyone?

My Plexi is also new and this Brahma shits all over it - I checked again to be sure. About 30% more gain, meaner and has about same or slightly less bass than the plexi but tighter bass. Both modules came from Randall with JJ ECC83S tubes.

Mike

MikeT said:
My Brahma serial number is 0811R0022 - November 2008? Not sure what the other numbers could be, anyone?

My Plexi is also new and this Brahma shits all over it - I checked again to be sure. About 30% more gain, meaner and has about same or slightly less bass than the plexi but tighter bass. Both modules came from Randall with JJ ECC83S tubes.

Mike

take the tube cage off and post a pic..then I can compare it to my 'old' Brahma :D

once again a Lynch mod get's stellar reviews ....

lynch mods just seem to be a top no matter what !!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Soo..The Brahma does exactly what the plexi does...just has a little more gain on tap?

IMO they are two completely different beasts I find them to be voiced significantly different from each other. With their gain controls dimed they have about the same gain, but with gains at noon my Brahma is gainer; but the Brahma gain is way more usable -tighter with teethy upper mids, great for rock, ACDC etc. The Plexi is mellower, loser, and warmer.

I love both for different reasons. I prefer the Plexi for mid gain jazzy and chicken picking type stuff and soft-cleaner practicing around my young duaughters when they come down to visit me :D .

Mike

Mike,
Did you order this Brahma straight from Randall or you went through a dealer? Just wonder if this one is completely new stock with correct spec.

I bought a new Brahma from Mus.Friend online a few months ago after giving up looking for a used one on here. Love it- it's nearly tied with my 1086 for favorite module. Mine was made in late 2008 also, I haven't noticed it lacking low end like many other posts had said- although I tend to turn my density control up to around noon anyway (I like a thumpy sound for most of my modules, high & low gain alike). The "chimy" tone of it is amazing, get great harmonics at the mid-gain levels that really sound warm.

Ooh - I'm glad I found this topic

I am after a Brahma and a Mr Scary and was concerned about what I had heard about them not being the right spec - especially the Brahma

Did the Mr Scary get any revisions to make it closer to George's specs also?

I too would be very interested to know what date the revisions took place and what serial numbers correspond to those dates, so I can make sure I get good ones.

I am really loving owning the modular stuff - got an Egnater M4 and 6 modules to start with but own some Randall ones too now

I'm hoping the new brahmas are better than the old ones cause I just played a 2008 brahma and totally underwhelmed after all the hype. My old pete-modded JTM killed it for tone and Rob-modded plexi killed it for gain. I could dial in better tone and gain from my SuperV!

Look forward to playing a "new" one sometime...

Mailman1971 said:
How about serial # 0808E1081
That got the corrected specs? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Dan
Well, describe the sound and we'll see :p

Semi-non existant bottom end and lower gain than the Plexi? Probably old spec. More bottom and gain, probably new spec.

Whilst I think the work of Pete, Dave F , Salvation & anyone else doing mods is great , I feel that Randall needs to get the specs of the signature models dead right without modification otherwise it damages both the credibility of Randall and the artist in question.

dboy5150 said:
I'm hoping the new brahmas are better than the old ones cause I just played a 2008 brahma and totally underwhelmed after all the hype. My old pete-modded JTM killed it for tone and Rob-modded plexi killed it for gain. I could dial in better tone and gain from my SuperV!

Look forward to playing a "new" one sometime...
So after hearing the changes I made to it last night, I think it's quite the fire-breathing bull now wouldn't you say Denny? :twisted:

It's seriously a whole new beast like night and day.