brahma on the way-- od or mod next?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojdogg

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a used Brahma so it's on it's way (Friday!). I've read in several places that this module can do a lot if paired with a good OD pedal and when modded. I'm wondering what folks who have used these mods think would be most important to grab first-- the OD or trying to get it Friedman modded.
Thanks again!

If you don't already have an OD pedal then you owe it to yourself to get one...no guitarist should be without one :D

The Friedman mod has a little more gain and a slightly different tone..but I'm thinking flexibility wise..an OD pedal is the way to go for more gain 'coz you get to use it with other modules too.

DaveF mod is $100...you could probably pick up a used SD-1 / TS / Green Screamer for $50 or less.

..eventually you may want both but please listen to the stock Brahma first.

yeah i know :oops:
i had an mjm blues devil which i liked a lot, but it didn't really work well with the tiny terror and it got sold with a bunch of other little things that eventually ended up helping me get the sg in my sig.
thanks for the advice. i kind of have the gear equivalent of plastic surgery addiction when it comes to mods.
i'm trying to get a clean module too, which is why it's kind of an "either/or" situation...

+1 on what JKD said...the dave friedman "mod" makes a smaller change,whereas an o/d pedal boost is the KEY to waking the module up.then it's GOLDEN! 8)

Just for reference, here's what I felt the Dave F mod did over the stock Brahma:

1. Sounds gainier
2. Has a little bit of improvement in low end response
3. Slight change in mids, appeared to lose a little but this could have been just the other freq. being bumped up
4. Cleaned up better

the Dave mod definately made it much more plexi to me. MUCH more. JKD...seems like the mids shifted a little lower...you feel this? the pre's make more of a difference in this module too if it's modded.

i don't use a boost in front and love it to death. my main rhythm module. tried a naked od from friedman/tone freak in front of it and gave it too much gain for my tastes. (that's with it backed off...and it's not really a od pedal) everyone has their own tastes.

the friedman brahma is everything i wanted the 5153 blue channel to be. :twisted:

think plexi!

RD/Steve said:
the Dave mod definately made it much more plexi to me. MUCH more. JKD...seems like the mids shifted a little lower...you feel this? the pre's make more of a difference in this module too if it's modded.

Dunno that my ears are that good, I could tell there was a change in the mids though..the modded one sounded more 'scooped' in the mids but that could have been a shift in the mid frequency too....based on how the ear perceives things :D

The Brahma has a ton of mids tho' it gets heavy, without disappearing when you cut the mids to say, 9 o'clock. :twisted:

I still have the stock pres in my regular Brahma...I played with pres a little but the HG selected ones that came with it sound great.

I might mod some of the caps...the Dave F mod one had WIMA (?) caps in I think...but my stock one has the regular fat (silver mica?) style caps...gonna try some orange drops.

JKD said:
Just for reference, here's what I felt the Dave F mod did over the stock Brahma:

1. Sounds gainier
2. Has a little bit of improvement in low end response
3. Slight change in mids, appeared to lose a little but this could have been just the other freq. being bumped up
4. Cleaned up better

yep,that's what i hear. :wink:

ah well, just bought the grail modded recto in the classifieds... so much for a clean module

kojdogg said:
ah well, just bought the grail modded recto in the classifieds... so much for a clean module

Clean is for wussies! :twisted:

I have all gain modules, lowest being the SuperV :D

JKD said:
kojdogg said:

Clean is for wussies! :twisted:

I have all gain modules, lowest being the SuperV :D

Right on. I am used to single channel amps so I figured I should get a clean... right up until I saw another gain channel I wanted.

I would say that every 5th song or so, it would be kind of good to have a clean channel for that 4 bar intro before the heaviness kicks in. I guess I'll make it work with "gain and less gain" channels. :D

Brahma sounds great stock! try different od pedals..you wouldn't believe how it can change your tone.

my favrorite cusack screamer v2