Buying and Selling Modules - A question of responsibility

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is 90% up to the shipper. I have at the worst had damaged tubes in gear I have sent. In one case it was a preamp tube damaged in shipping I offered a $10 refund to pay for a new tube, but the buyer did not accept, he said no problem since I upgraded to next day shipping for him since I sent it out on a Thursday.

The other one was a RM20 combo I sent that is the first tube amp the buyer has ever owned. It worked perfectly for the first 30 min of playing, then he played for quite a while in silent mode (I don't know the settings etc that were used) but after putting it back to live mode it didn't make any sound. Did some troubleshooting with the guy, it was bad power tubes...I think he did something wrong, but I sent him replacement tubes no charge. I don't know what caused the tubes to fail, but I wanted this to be a good transaction.

No one likes deals that are not 100% good, but I think that the seller, and buyer need to work together to solve issues when they come up. I have heard stories about people getting amps, and using them improperly, damaging it, and claiming it didn't work right away, and expecting a refund. Sometimes the damage doesn't show up right away, and these are the worst ones. All electronics need to be packed properly.

For the record, the seller said that he had intended to pay for any repairs that needed to be made, I just didn't get that from the pm's

Thanks for all of your responses! I didn't mean to create a shitstorm on here, I was just honestly wondering what others feel their responisibility is in a situation like mine.

I didn't and won't name any names, because that wasn't my intention, but the seller and I have worked everything out to my satisfaction and I would definitely consider doing business with him again.

Obiously, Rob is beyond a standup guy and I will finally, eventually get to he his Erect once I send it to him with some other stuff he is working on for me.

I feel bad that this situation caused a rift between Rob and Disciple, but it looks like those two had issues long before I came around

Thanks again... there are some great dudes - and dudettes :p - on this board. I'm glad we have a forum like this to benefit from

Take Care

H

BigBrewtus said:
As Bill and Ted would say:
BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.
I totally agree.
In the case of shipping the buyer takes some responsibility for risk in transit. When someone purchases an item, they put an order for it. The seller then packages and hands it over to their shipping provider. When the package changes hands it is now the buyers responsibility. It was their order to ship and when that due diligence is fulfilled, the transaction is complete on the seller's end. Otherwise, it is unfair to the seller. Beyond that is just good old fashioned customer service to provide service after the sale. I have never had a problem either buying or selling, but I can see how things can happen to anyone or anything at anytime. Sometimes the packaging of the item itself can cause damage. Be careful to engineer your packaging well and don't crush components when wrapping with bubble wrap. Also don't put too much packing material in the box so that it will put too much pressure and crush down on caps or pots. Most importantly....BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER. :wink:

Just had this same type of issue. I would also like to say that FED EX and UPS will not pay for a damaged item that was boxed by someone other than them. Best friend is the manager of a large music store I bring my crap there for him to box and ship. They will charge you the insurance just good luck collecting on a claim.

As for my most recent amp shipping adventure I just finally received a check from the USPS for an amp that was shipped from Ohio to NY and the cabinet was destroyed in shipping. Even the outside of the box looked ok but the amp took a serious hit. Hard enough to break the wooden dovetail joints and rip the tolex. The seller insured it but I did all the claim work. What a PITA..... F**K all shippers they suck and if you don't package it like it's going to war you better prepare for damage. I seriously find myself lucky to have collected it only took 3 months and a ton of pics, letters and paperwork.

ibenhad said:
Just had this same type of issue. I would also like to say that FED EX and UPS will not pay for a damaged item that was boxed by someone other than them. Best friend is the manager of a large music store I bring my crap there for him to box and ship. They will charge you the insurance just good luck collecting on a claim.

This has not been my experience nor has it been the experience of friends and family.

I had an shipped an EMU Planet Earth module in 2008 that was destroyed in shipment and packed by me. I received the insurance money within 10 days of filing the claim.

In 2010, my Dad sold a '77 Fender Twin that had packed himself that was destroyed in shipment. He received a full insurance settlement.

I know several people that have had similar experiences with Fed Ex and UPS.

FYI, it's always wise to take photos before and while packing for further proof.

I have had to file insurance claims and have never been refused. I filed a claim with USPS as the receiver (their preferred method) for a damaged guitar. The packaging and guitar were destroyed and looked like they had been run over, tire marks and all. I was paid within 90 days for the full insured amount. I have also filed a claim with UPS as the shipper (their preferred method) for a freshly painted guitar I was shipping from the Chicago are to the Detroit area. The lady at the UPS store was very helpful and put my claim right through. The guitar was picked up by UPS and shipped back to me for repair and I received payment in about 30 days for repairing the damage and they even paid me around $40 to ship it back to the original recipient. The guidelines are simple, pack for war, insure it for the full value, and if something happens, DON'T BE AN *******. That is the fastest way to get things resolved. In my opinion, the shipper should be as helpful in getting the claim settled as they need to be. They are not responsible for the shipping damage, the shipping company is. The shipper should not be out any more money than it takes to get the matter resolved.

Mike P said:
ibenhad said:

This has not been my experience nor has it been the experience of friends and family.

I had an shipped an EMU Planet Earth module in 2008 that was destroyed in shipment and packed by me. I received the insurance money within 10 days of filing the claim.

In 2010, my Dad sold a '77 Fender Twin that had packed himself that was destroyed in shipment. He received a full insurance settlement.

FYI, it's always wise to take photos before and while packing for further proof.

Now your an expert on shipping too... Should have known.

ibenhad said:
Mike P said:
ibenhad said:

Now your an expert on shipping too... Should have known.
Ibenhad, this comment seems kind of aggressive to me. I know people have had their goings with Mike P before, and some of it was just. But in his post to me he seemed to just be relaying his experiences. No need to start another flame thread with the guy. My experiences have been similar to his as well. Does that make me any more or less knowledgable or an expert on packing and shipping?! Nope, just means we've all had different experiences. I know it's hard for us musicians to put our egos aside, but we all should try it every now and then and I'm sure this will be a much happier place.

Sorry for the rant. Back on topic

crankyrayhanky said:
Let's see a show of hands at how many people actually received money back on an insurance claim in shipping...I'm guessing 0 on module shipping

I received a satisfactory claim from Fedex on a broken guitar I received. And I'd like to note that there was not significant damage to the box either. I filed the claim but was notified that the shipper would receive all money unless he signed it over the me (which he did).

Latest posts