C1 vs C2 (and which caps)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I is be sexy

Reaction score
Two of my mods have caps in C2, and the other has one in C1. None have caps in both. This (and the fact that both positions are connected to the switch on the front) leads me to believe that they serve similar purposes. Would there be any change in tone if I switched the C1 cap over to position C2, or vice versa?

As a side note, I have an orange drop and a silver mica of equal value (.001uf, 1000pf) - which should I put in C3, and which should I put in C1/C2?

thanks!

Good question.. I don't know the exact answer but i would suggest that C1 and c2 are essentially bright caps (hence the switch being labelled "bright") and serve the purpose to add a bit more high end which often gives the perception of a tighter or crunchier feel to an amp. I guess the reason that no value is used in one is because it serves as a toggle to the base tone of the mod as is and then with a bright cap switched in. So you'd have to not really like the base tone of the mod without the bright switch in, to consider changing it to something else. So if you are a type of guy who likes to play with the bright on (like me) maybe you want to experiment with a diff value cap for the base tone of your module. That is what I think is happening in that position. Hopefully some of the others will chyme in.

To your other question.. if they are all of similar value, then the one that fits best! I think the ceramics are used here a lot because of their size. in C3 you are probably going for the tightness so use your ears. If the mica sounds good, stick with it.

That's the best I can do for now!

Thanks! This is for a high-gain module (Ultra). I noticed that while the bright switch usually seems to do less when you use more gain, on one of my modules (one with a cap in C2) it seems to act like a boost, making the module tighter and more focused. If I could replicate that in my Ultra (which currently has the cap in C1), that would be awesome.

Only one way to find out! Throw it in there.. you could also remove the pcb and look at the traces under it. They probably lead to that switch and are an "on" / "on" switch. One just doesn't pass through that cap. High end is what I think it missing from some of the stockers.

Latest posts