Can you pick which is which?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
Here's a shootout between a Mesa Boogie relabeled 5881WXT/6L6; Mesa Boogie relabeled EL34; and a NOS Mullard EL34. Listen in HD through your better monitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMqJeIukXtE

You don't know which is which.... I picked the 5881 straight away because of certain characteristics and that he's using the same speaker I use. But the difference between the Mesa EL34 and the NOS EL34 (actually 6CA7)? I couldn't pick which one was the NOS but here's my verdict:

1) 5881
2) EL34 type
3) EL34 type

Of the EL34 types I liked #3 better. I found #2 harsh.

I did later check which was which on his website, but I'm not sayin'.

The 6L6 is definitely the first one the other two sound very similar in the high saturation portions to me, but at first the the gain lower the 3rd tube sounds very similar to my amp so i'm going to say as follows;

1 - 6L6
2- NOS EL34
3 - EL34

When are you going to post the answers?
or
Where can i find the answers? - Nevermind i re-read your post, i guess i'll have to wait to get home to check his site, lol on my iPhone hehe

I'm a big Marshall guy so I am fond of EL34's... I preferred the new production EL34... I thought it had more complex overtones that I love.

Cool shootout!

Not a tube-knower at all, but just by tone

the #1 sounds meh, #2 sounds good at full bore #3 does the halfway gain better than #2