Changing amp channels and FX rack

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGod87

Reaction score
So I'm totally new to racks. I only own a 882i Sonic Maximizer so far. I'm looking to purchase a effects rack unit but a few questions arose. Does the rack effects processor change the amp channel? Or does the pedal change the amp channel? I'm looking at a TC Gforce and TC Gsystem. Both seem very well, but are there any other processors that change channels and also have a usb interface/port that's a bit cheaper? Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, but it's a bit late and I just finished with finals. I hope to clear this up soon. Keep rocking on!

depends on what gear you're running and what you plan to do with it.

You will probably want some kind of foot controller, particularly if you want to change channels/presets on the fly on stage. If your amp has midi, you can control the amp and most modern fx units with the single foot controller. If the amp doesn't have midi, some foot controllers can still switch channels on the amp, and some fx units have the ability to change channels for you too.

So once you've got the gear together, it's a matter of programming it all so that when you step on THAT button, THIS fx preset is selected with THAT channel of your amp. How you do that will depend on all the various bits of gear you piece together.

It can sound daunting, but once you have a basic understanding, it comes together fairly quickly.

GuitarGod87 said:
My amp is midi, so it's just the foot controller and not the rack that changes channels?

some racks have 'midi out' function (able to control other pieces from the rack)
but in general you'll mostly see 'midi through'
(what the pedal sends simply gets sent through to the next piece in line)

for simple setups, midi through wil work to use a pedal number to change all units, to the same channel
(so let's say press #1 on the footcontroller and see RM4 ch 1 and Gmajor ch 1 appear)

TL;DR

Yes it's the footpedal that changes the channels

ok so this is what I have in mind, My guitar to the wah into the tuner then into the amps. I'll then run my other pedals into parallel loop and the Rack FX in the series along with my 882i. I'll hook the midi cable up to my midi control to my rack FX then into my Midi IN on my RM100, then MIDI thru to my second RM100?

sounds right. Just make sure you have the send & receive channels on your equipment setup properly and 1 stomp (sometimes 2 if you are going from the 1st bank of presets to the next bank on the MFX) and the amps & MFX will change to what was programmed.

Yep looks alright.

I'd run from the footcontroller to the amps first and then fx though.
That way you could power your footcontroller through the midi cable (if it supports this ;) ) Also if there's any problem with the fx midi, you will still have control over your amps (unlikely, but still).

i think I'm going to settle on the G System for now. I was looking at the GForce but it's a bit old and I would need the GCard and controller. A AXE FX would be nice too, but i d don't see it happening. I can pick up a G SYSTEM and already have a controller on board. Anyone use the G SYSTEM in here?

m0jo said:
Yep looks alright.

I'd run from the footcontroller to the amps first and then fx though.
That way you could power your footcontroller through the midi cable (if it supports this ;) ) Also if there's any problem with the fx midi, you will still have control over your amps (unlikely, but still).
+1
I like this way best. that's how I got mine.