Changing Tubes In The XTC (will it help?)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcomet

Reaction score
Over a year ago (when I got my RM 100), I also ordered an SL+ module on the basis that most players on this forum said the XTC sucked. (compared to the other modules)
I agree that the XTC is my least favorite of the 5 modules I own, but it's not awful.
To improve on it's usability for me, I'd like to mod it, but I'm thinking that's a bit drastic. My opinion of it is this:
It's got too much gain. It shows little change from a 12 o'clock gain setting and 5 o'clock setting.
It's kinda muddy sounding to me and I like a more focused mid too (like the JCM 800). Makes me wonder... should I just sell it instead?
I think I'll try changing out the tubes in it, maybe try a couple of AT7s or AU7s. I don't have any extras lying around, so I'll need to order a few.
Any thoughts, experiences or other comments would be welcome.
Will a couple of 12AT7s solve my issues with the XTC?
Or will I end up modding/selling the unit?
I asked Santa while he was here (briefly) but he's using a NB King 100 now and couldn't be arsed about it. :lol:

well I dont know what exactly your lookin for? but for a cleaner crunchy sound the super V works really well, dont know if ya have one of those or not? I actually had mine modded by Rob at JF for more gain and it sounds awesome. as far as what to do with the stock xtc i couldnt tell ya what to do? merry christmas!!!

The XTC is probably one of my favorite modules after it's modded. Drop me a line and we can chat about some possibilities.
Rob

If you want it to be a lower gain then you're on the right track. If you want high gain then I'd suggest a "high gain" tube (or 2) and make sure C3 (bass cap) is either .001uF (1000pF) or .0015uF (1500pF). The XTC lacks compression, therefore it could use more gain, or vice versa.

I use a high gain Ruby in V2 and boost with either my Wylde OD or modded TS9. The Wylde OD really tightens it up a lot. I've also used a MXR Microamp with good results. The XTC is my main high gain module and I play more/less hard rock/metal tuned to C and C#.

If you go low/mid gain you'll be in Plexi territory, but with a few more mids, which also sounds good.

I put a 7025 in v1 and now it seems to be the perfect crunch sound. The sound is pretty close to the Incubus crunch-stuff.
As a high gain module I didn`t like it either..