Christmas in July !

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Well, 10 weeks after putting in a call to the Amp Lounge... the Fedex guy drops this off at my doorstep...

m4modules.jpg

Bummer is that I haven't had a chance to try 'em out yet... I've spent most of the day trying to recover a hard drive, wife went to bed early so I can't play anything now, and tomorrow I've got an all-day recording session lined up (for which I'm producing, not playing) :(

I do have a gig with a 25-piece big band tomorrow night... typically I take the RM50 with Blackface/Plexi modules, but I think I'm gonna take the T/D and COD modules tomorrow. I might not have much time to dial 'em in (and I won't get to check out channel B on either) but at least it'll give me a chance to crank a couple modules up tomorrow. Doing the rest of 'em justice will probably have to wait until Monday when I can get my rack rig back together and get 'em all loaded up in the M4. Can't wait!

--B

Please give us a review on these modules and how it's working out for you. I'm especially interested in the cOD, because I do pull out the Carlton/Ford thing from time to time.
Tung

Hey B, don't you know they make a real nice carrying case for all those modules,I think they call it an M4 (LOL)nice selection! Let us know what you think of the COD I forgot about your other post,Twenty channels commin up :D

So I've had a little time over the past few days to try out the new modules, even had the chance to use a couple of 'em at band practice last night. Here's my initial thoughts:

T/D: I pretty much knew what to expect from the "T" side (big, bright clean tone) since I had a single-channel Twin module. The pleasant surprise for me has been the "D" side... it's big, gritty, & warm, great for single-note clean work. Extremely dynamic as well... when the gain's dialed about halfway up, you can pick through chords cleanly then pound out a few chords with an almost plexi-like crunch. I had the Randall Deluxe module for a while, and can't remember it being anything like this.

COD: This one covers a pretty broad gain spectrum... I started out with my G&L Legacy on channel A. Spent a few minutes jamming around on it... my wife comes downstairs and says "sounds like John Mayer's live album". I take that as a good sign (both about the tone and my playing). On channel B with a PRS, I'm right at home... definitely has some of the Mesa Mark-series vibe, which I appreciate since I played a Triaxis & Mark IV for many years. Definitely can do the Santana lead sound, but what I didn't expect was enough gain to pull off early Dream Theater rhythms & leads. It's not a perfect Mark-series replica, but it's close enough.

SL2: Of all the modules, this was probably the one that was closest to my expectations... channel A has the JCM800 late 70's/early 80's classic rock tone... Marshall crunch, but not quite as brittle. I switched over to channel B and cranked through "Crazy Train" and "Welcome to the Jungle"... it's that tone, out of the box, no overdrive pedal required.

MHG: Only Egnater could make something with this much gain that still is warm & smooth. If you think of the SL2 and E-RECT as being "raw" sounding and the EG3/4 as being "buttery", the MHG is right in between. Not as mid-heavy as the EG3/4, not as scooped as the E-RECT, not as much high-mids as the SL2... once again, right in between. Has plenty of gain on tap but you can still hear every note in a chord ring out. In many ways, reminds me of the Rocktron Vendetta's high gain channels (which is a good thing in my book). Channel A found me doing a bit of Vai's "Erotic Nightmares" and a few Alice in Chains tunes, even a couple more recent VH tunes; channel B was well suited for Megadeth, old Metallica, Pantera... "Cemetary Gates" never sounded so good. Granted, I don't play a ton of hard rock/metal these days, but this is still a "must have" module in the collection.

All in all, I'm more than pleased with this set of modules... they're all keepers in my book!

Now I'm trying to figure out which 4 moules will be part of my gigging rig... I know they'll all see studio use, and the T/D and COD are my top picks to throw into the RM50 for jazz gigs, but I'm not looking to expand my rack with a second M4 and switcher just so I can take all 8 modules out for gigs. (I've actually been on a "simplification quest" recently... I dropped all the effects from my M4 rig because it sounds so good on its own... I'm down to just a wah pedal, the M4, and the VHT.) The setup I used for practice last night was the T/D, SL, MHG, and EG3/4... the T/D and SL progress nicely from crystal clean to high gain crunch. The MHG picks up where the SL leaves off with more gain and a slightly more aggressive rhythm tone. Then the EG3/4 provides my main tones for lead work. Those 4 modules covered everything in the setlist and didn't make me feel like anything was missing.

More to come...

--B

Really appreciate the in-depth reviews on these mods. What would you say for a Metheny/Wes type tone? The T/D i guess? What about a Lukather type high gain?
I have the Randall Deluxe, it's one of my least favorite, it has the country spank but lacks body of any warmth, even with tung Sol 12AX7s in them.
T.

Iconoclysm said:
Why is it called the JXH?

No name for it yet. Dont want the X module so as to cause confusion about it being a Xtacy module or head design...So I got to name it Jeff X Hilligan

From the Clips ive heard of the MHG .i have to agree with ya Bogner Red is what I hear

with the New voicing .its suppossed to be more George Lynch.
Splawn, Soldano,

I think itll probably be similar to the Mr Scary mod from randall .But with Bruce's touch .Ie no ice pick treble. rich overdrive and similar smooth character it has now ....just a lot more punch like the SL2 but with psycho gain .lol

Wow, nice info in this thread. I've got the VX, T/D and this new "X" module on route to me right now. Hoping to have them on or before Wednesday. The X module is probably out of my gain range, but the description of it sounded so cool I thought I would try it.

I've got the T/V module right now and it sounds good, but I would really like a different clean tone. I'm hoping the VX is what I am looking for, but if not I might be COD bound if that one has a nice big clean as well.

bduersch said:
I do have a gig with a 25-piece big band tomorrow night... typically I take the RM50 with Blackface/Plexi modules, but I think I'm gonna take the T/D and COD modules tomorrow. I might not have much time to dial 'em in (and I won't get to check out channel B on either) but a

Good stuff... tonight I had a big band gig, took the RM50 loaded with the T/D and COD. We had a "mellow" set... not a lot of solos, none of our standard rock/blues tunes, so I spent a lot of time with the T/D. When the time came to fire up the COD for my one solo... holy crap did it sound amazing! The guitar was absolutely singing. After the tune, I got more compliments on that one solo than I've gotten on all the solos I've played over the past few years.

For the record, I ran it with the gain on A at about 10:30, the tone knobs between 2:00 & 3:00. Guitar was a Heritage H535 straight into the amp.

--B

bduersch said:
bduersch said:
I do have a gig with a 25-piece big band tomorrow night... typically I take the RM50 with Blackface/Plexi modules, but I think I'm gonna take the T/D and COD modules tomorrow. I might not have much time to dial 'em in (and I won't get to check out channel B on either) but a

Good stuff... tonight I had a big band gig, took the RM50 loaded with the T/D and COD. We had a "mellow" set... not a lot of solos, none of our standard rock/blues tunes, so I spent a lot of time with the T/D. When the time came to fire up the COD for my one solo... holy crap did it sound amazing! The guitar was absolutely singing. After the tune, I got more compliments on that one solo than I've gotten on all the solos I've played over the past few years.

For the record, I ran it with the gain on A at about 10:30, the tone knobs between 2:00 & 3:00. Guitar was a Heritage H535 straight into the amp.

--B
Congrats! The COD is pretty stellar and way different than any of the other modules,I dig it :D