Clips of modded plexi, Ultra

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Here's the plexi I have FS in the classifieds... fairly low volume, no boost pedal:

http://members.cox.net/vht50/hereigoagainplexi.mp3

Andy Peterson's Ultra I'm still tweaking a bit:

http://members.cox.net/vht50/paranoidultra.mp3

signal chain - Eric Johnson sig strat w/duncan hot rails in bridge>Modded plexi>Randall RM50>Randall 2x12cab recording out>DR3200>to PC>mixed w/a little verb in adobe audition w/backing track.

Love the Plexi clip.

So how do we dial in that sound or close to it with SL or SL+/2?

The gain structure is a little different on a plexi than the SL+. I put a .0033 cap for C3, which is a little wooly but not too bad. That gives it some warmth. If you listen to the recording, the low end isn't real tight. Probably run a little less treble and lots of mids/bass, gain probably around 50% to 75%. I don't have a stock SL+ to mess with here, every time I get ahold of one I mod the thing pretty much instantly. :)

Pete

Really well done. Plexi impressed me the most..and to boot your playing is great....can you tel I like John Sykes??? Very much,so.
Ultra..not as much nice recording but the DIness of it makes it a little processed osunding to me. No better way to say it, but everybody hears differently.
Great job,though.

I agree those modules sound awesome. Likling the Whitesnake.. 8)
On the subject of capacitors can you use a silver mica 250pf 500v instead of a ceramic disc 250pf 1000v as i cannot for the life of me find a 250pf ceramic disc cap anywhere. In the UK anyway. I know the voltage is a lot different but I read somewhere that a minimum of 500v would be ok.
Please advise.
Thanks

METALjim said:
I agree those modules sound awesome. Likling the Whitesnake.. 8)
On the subject of capacitors can you use a silver mica 250pf 500v instead of a ceramic disc 250pf 1000v as i cannot for the life of me find a 250pf ceramic disc cap anywhere. In the UK anyway. I know the voltage is a lot different but I read somewhere that a minimum of 500v would be ok.
Please advise.
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Jim - yeah, a silver mica will work fine. Micas to my ear sound smoother, ceramics are grittier. 500v will work with no problems.

Pete

Can the Ultra Lead be modded? Seems like the highs cut-off too soon.

Pete,
As usual sounds awesome (Both the modules and the playing). Great work! How about some clips of the modded XTC (before you sell the one in the classified section). I know you did a clip ages ago of you soloing in a song. But how about a clip of just the XTC on it's own?
Cheers
Damian

Smokey said:
Pete,
As usual sounds awesome (Both the modules and the playing). Great work! How about some clips of the modded XTC (before you sell the one in the classified section). I know you did a clip ages ago of you soloing in a song. But how about a clip of just the XTC on it's own?
Cheers
Damian

That XTC is already shipped out to it's new owner... I probably will be modding another one in a day or two though. Any ideas for what you want to hear the module doing (chords, leads, ?)

Thanks for the kind words!

Pete

okstrat said:
Riff said:
Can the Ultra Lead be modded? Seems like the highs cut-off too soon.

yeah, they can all be modded.
I havent seen any thing other than tight-mods for the Ultra Lead. So I wonder what can be done.... :?

okstrat said:
Smokey said:
Pete,
Cheers
Damian

That XTC is already shipped out to it's new owner... I probably will be modding another one in a day or two though. Any ideas for what you want to hear the module doing (chords, leads, ?)

Thanks for the kind words!

Pete

How about a bit of it all. A couple of open chords that ring out, some tight power chords and a touch of soloing. Something like a snippet from "I would love to" by Steve Vai might do the trick. :twisted:
Cheers

Great sounding clips pete. I agree some clips of the modded xtc would be great.

xanthic said:
Great sounding clips pete. I agree some clips of the modded xtc would be great.

Thanks man. There is a clip of YYZ on here, but I ddin't spend a lot of time dialing it in... it's not as smooth as I tend to like in my XTC clips. :)

Pete