Close mic Video Track clip

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I used the low mic gain and I should have used the medium. You will need to turn up your speakers.

I made this on a whim after reading the JF SLO 100 thread. I found that putting the recorder on the edge of the speaker sounded best on it's own. In a mix, on the edge of the cone would probably sound better.

Rig: RM100KH with master/depth/pres all at 11:00 and winged C 34's, 5751 in PI, into a TM2X12 with Scumback M75 LHDC's. Trad Plus LP with Classic 57 pups tuned to 440.

I should have played a riff and then switched modules but I didn't. I played 3 riffs. Once on it's own and then with a boost so it's hard to hear any differences between the modules on specific riffs.

Modules are all set at:

Gain: noon
Bass: 11:30
Mids: 1:00
Treb: 11:30
Level: 9:30

You will hear Barracuda, Not My Time, and Kiss of Death. Each riff on it's own and then with a boost. Then I switch to the next module. Order is JF Brahma, JF Scary (Mr. Soldano), and SG Fisch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvNb6DT4ot4

Nice clip there bud, you captured some good tones on that one (no issue for me to have to turn it up). Those all sound pretty impressive gain wise for being only set at noon.

Well done.. had to listen with headphones but that is the best way to capture nuances anyway. I liked the JF brahma best I think. I was also surprised that the boost made the modules sound closer to each other when engaged. What type of boost is it?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Well done.. had to listen with headphones but that is the best way to capture nuances anyway. I liked the JF brahma best I think. I was also surprised that the boost made the modules sound closer to each other when engaged. What type of boost is it?

I thought that having the camera that close to the grill would require the mic gain to be set on low but medium would have been better for the volume. I will fix that next time.

The JF Brahma is my go to module for anything Marshall. It just has something extra to the tone. More depth and warmth is the only way I can describe it. It seems to fill out more of the sonic spectrum to me.

When it comes to the boosted tones, I believe that much of a final tone comes down to the fingers/technique. I lack something in that realm that allows me to capture what I really want in a tone. I guess that is why I chase more than I should. With age I am getting better at playing instead of chasing but I still search the classifieds everyday for something I might want.

The boost is a Dano CC Trans OD version 1 which is supposed to be an exact copy of a Tim pedal. I bought it before I knew that but it sounds good to me. It is set at volume almost dimed and the gain at zero.

Ahh I had that boost pedal version 1 for a while as well.. I actually sold it for next to nothing. It was a good pedal but I found that it did color my tone in a way that just wasn't working for me. My honest to goodness go to over the past few years has been my digitech bad monkey. Gain just up a bit and volume at 2 o clock. that thing is great. A nice subtle push, try that one too if you really want to let your fingers do the talking. You still have to work, it just makes the harmonicse pop a little more.

I think I am going to do this again tonight but use my Egnater 1X12 with a regular M75. I will fix the volume issue also.

Any riff suggestions?

New clip on Egnater 1X12 with 65 watt M75. The cab sits lower than the 2X12 so I am not quite on the edge of the speaker. I adjusted the mic gain so this one is little louder. I probably should have move the camera back a little bit more to let some more highs in but it is what it is. The mic position gives off a kind of AM radio vibe.

This one is all JF Brahma with the same riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEm6VxkSiM

Sounds good! What can I say.. I like me the Brahma... one improvement you could make is showing us your guitar and fingers. That is a lot more interesting to look at than the corner of a speaker cab! 8)

Sounds pretty good, Im hoping to get my long xlr cable in tom. so I can re-do my slo clips with a sm57 and some hot licks :D
Robs slo mod really shine with aggresive eq tweaking, so its not really getting full potential, but I know your doing it for comparison reasons. I can appreciate that

Kapo_Polenton said:
Sounds good! What can I say.. I like me the Brahma... one improvement you could make is showing us your guitar and fingers. That is a lot more interesting to look at than the corner of a speaker cab! 8)

I agree but when I move the camera away from the cab I get more room and less speaker. The original reason for this experiment was to see if I could get better sounding clips by close mic'ing. I also said I would post a clip in LunatiBSW's thread about his new JF Soldano.

Disciple posted something in that thread about people not commenting on clips and yourself and I mentioned the quality as a possible reason. I slammed myself for having poor clip quality and wanted to experiment on making them better.

FWIW, my thread has 147 views at the moment and has been up since late Saturday night and you and Disciple are the only people that have commented.

I am looking for feedback and suggestions on how to make better sounding clips with the tools that I have! An Alesis Video Track is the tool at the moment. I won't be offended with negative criticism.

Cool new clip, definitely a bit clearer the brahma mod sounds pretty wicked indeed.

I'm needing to get myself a mic soon to use with my recording interface just haven't had a chance to snag one yet.

LunatiBSW said:
Sounds pretty good, Im hoping to get my long xlr cable in tom. so I can re-do my slo clips with a sm57 and some hot licks :D
Robs slo mod really shine with aggresive eq tweaking, so its not really getting full potential, but I know your doing it for comparison reasons. I can appreciate that

I look forward to hearing that. I have a mic and cables but no interface to run to my computer. I guess I should step up into todays technology and pick one up.

eyeball987 said:
I am looking for feedback and suggestions on how to make better sounding clips with the tools that I have! An Alesis Video Track is the tool at the moment. I won't be offended with negative criticism.

The second clip sounds much better and clearer than the first clip. Quite honestly, I think you've done as well as you possibly can given the equipment available. :D

Believe it or not, recording guitars can be a very tricky and arduous process. If you're making these recordings just to share with friends, you may find that you'll have far better results with your camcorder than with a cheap interface, microphone and DAW.

Latest posts