UltraXL & Superior Drummer

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
Really was just playing around with superior drummer constructing a quick song layout. Decided to turn on the UltraXL and record a quick tune. Its just a rough song layout that I will finish up sometime this week. I made the riffs up in about 45 seconds so it may change by the time I finish it. I'm running the UXL with the Line6 screamer boosting it. I run the L6 in front of every module I own to tighten them up. The gain on the UXL is only set to about 9:30 and then the screamer volume maxed with no gain turned on used as a booster. THE UXL isn't really my favorite so it may re-record it using the Grail which is my go to module. With that said I think the UXL tone turned out pretty good. Vintage 30 speakers with 2 SM57's miking it up.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10866012

Drums are just a preset in Superior Drummer as far as the effects on them. Then the the beats are from the Singwriters Midi Pack. The guitar tone turned out pretty good it's all unprocessed straight SM57.

I need to put together some kind of simple system for recording like this. Any ideas?

I have a mic and a laptop but no interface. What are some free decent recording and drum programs? How about an inexpensive interface?

Short term, I am going to record some clips with my RP1000 direct via the USB cable and see how that goes.

I have new Imac, Mackie 824's, Pro Tools 9 and a M-Audio Projectmix and Superior Drummer. Its not an inexpensive setup but really you can get a new m-audio/protools combo and EZdrummer for pretty cheap and have pretty much the same deal. Just make sure your computer is good enough to handle everything. Honestly most of the recording software is exactly the same. Protools is just industry standard and really not any better than most software unless you get into the full $10k system.

eyeball987 said:
I need to put together some kind of simple system for recording like this. Any ideas?

I have a mic and a laptop but no interface. What are some free decent recording and drum programs? How about an inexpensive interface?

Short term, I am going to record some clips with my RP1000 direct via the USB cable and see how that goes.

really Cheap interface= cheap sounding tracks. USB ones are getting better/faster, but firewire is the fastest. Most software comes with some drum beats and setups, but to get what you want you gotta spend some dough, ez drummer (superior drummer) is great. Ive dabbled with my buddies, and bout to buy it myself. Your really not gonna do much with a comp unless it can get 2-4 gigs of Ram, and you really need at least a core 2 duo or higher or it WILL lock up if you want to run a drum machine and record multiple tracks. This setup isnt exactly cheap, but its much more affordable than a pro setup like Mike P's. Then theres always monitors and a sub for checking and mixing. Or you can just go cheaper route and get really good headphones. Dont forget good cables.

Cool track

LunatiBSW said:
eyeball987 said:

really Cheap interface= cheap sounding tracks. USB ones are getting better/faster, but firewire is the fastest. Most software comes with some drum beats and setups, but to get what you want you gotta spend some dough, ez drummer (superior drummer) is great. Ive dabbled with my buddies, and bout to buy it myself. Your really not gonna do much with a comp unless it can get 2-4 gigs of Ram, and you really need at least a core 2 duo or higher or it WILL lock up if you want to run a drum machine and record multiple tracks. This setup isnt exactly cheap, but its much more affordable than a pro setup like Mike P's. Then theres always monitors and a sub for checking and mixing. Or you can just go cheaper route and get really good headphones. Dont forget good cables.

Cool track

Comp is good. Headphones are good. Cables are good. Costs for the other things not so good. For what I would do with it anyway.

I am going to go direct with my RP1000 later tonight to see what kind of quality I can get.

Yes try it! I recorded a long time with my Pod X3 Live and it's USB interface.... Recorded processed sound and a second track for DI and later reamping for example with VST based amps.

Katash said:
Yes try it! I recorded a long time with my Pod X3 Live and it's USB interface.... Recorded processed sound and a second track for DI and later reamping for example with VST based amps.

What software did you use?