Considering 3 new amps...Which one?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Marshall JVM410
Mesa Road King II
Soldano SLO100

Which would you get?

The obvious is that the SLO is far less versatile than the others but has a tone that is worth it anyway to me...Hard call....This is for my own personal use and not for the studio...

I'd grab a second hand Soldano Hot Rod 50 Plus if you can find one. It has the same overdrive section as the SLO. You can find them for about $1400.

JVMs are crap. I wouldn't own one.

I have an infatuation with the SLO. I tell myself to get a HR50+...and I am seriously thinking about doing this. In the back of my mind I have this fear that it would just be a stop on my way to a SLO. I am looking for 80's metal tones, so I am guessing either would be excellent.

Yeah JVMs are love or hate. Maybe there's some that are good or bad. Idk they sound good to me. I actually did have a SLO over here with my Baron and a VHT Ultralead. What kind of music are you going for?

SLO100 - it would be my on a "deserted island" amp. The tone is just right to my ears.

I never really liked Mesa's & I played a JVM410 & didn't like the tone. I couldn't get it to sound right to my ears.

If you can get along with the loop, get an SLO.

Otherwise, get a Friedman.

If I had your 'back up' Fig

I'd go with a SLO

It's not like you can't fall back on anything else if the SLO doesn't give you the necessary tone you need at that moment

If not, then the Road King, although that's gonna give a lot of work figuring out what kind of tones you can get out of it
....To find out you can do the same with your MTS setup

... :shock:

Actually,... what the hell do you need another amp for?

:lol:

Nightdare said:
Actually,... what the hell do you need another amp for?

:lol:

Actually after reading his signature.... WTF do you need another amp?

How about taking up keyboards or something like that? Korg makes some nice ones.

Thanks for the concerns... :) In all honesty, the mods are for studio work and rarely travel...I do have an RM100 but it weighs more than I care to lug around...Especially after sweating out 20 lbs and replenishing it with alcohol during a gig...

For my own personal use live, I'm looking to get a great amp that will deliver every time....Slo came right to mind but I didn't want to discount the JVM or Road King right off...I thought if people came out loving them- I may give them another listen...No need though....

I have and play keys, drums and everything else you could want in the studio so no need for new hobbies...

No offense to Randall- but their stuff is weigh too heavy (get it?) to lug around regularly...Plus, too much can go wrong and has...

I'm at a point where I'm making enough dough with musical endeavors to afford a SLO...Always wanted one....Since I started playing 20+ years ago...

Thanks for the input!!!

Before I bought my RM100 a couple years ago I tried a JVM...not bad but I wasn't convinced.

I know it's not listed, but I would pick up a Steve Morse Engl. When I saw him at a clinic recently his tone was like nothing I've ever heard before. He said it was designed to set everything on 6 and you're good to go. His clean was rich with harmonics and his dirty was just dirty enough, while his lead parts sang and cut through beautifully.

Or one of the new 50w 5153 amps. I had the 100w and loved it. The other guitarist in the band I'm in just got the 50w, and it is a solid little amp

JVM == that was the Marshall that blew up. :shock:

Soldano -- you really only need 50W these days at most. I'd even give Mike a call about a Hot Rod 50 Plus. He'll make you one. The man is just awesome. But if you have your heart set on the SLO and you are making the money to afford one, go for it. They're great amps. Tubes he uses are Sovtek 5881s or TS 5881s. Just drop in the same as they ship and you'll never have to rebias.

A friend of mine has a Hot Rod 50. I call it Timex. It takes licking and keeps on ticking. He's never replaced the tubes -- 16 yrs. Smokes 2 pks/day. Cranks the amp daily. Hes dropped the amp three times. And it still works.

My Marshall? I babied it. It blew up. They suck. I tell you. They suck. Don't get the JVM. You'll be sorry. You'll regret it. It worked well for two weeks out of six months. There is a reason you need two Marshalls. Because one is always in the shop.

JVM is the most flavorless Marshall amp I have ever owned. It is very versatile, but doesn't have a 'classic' Marshall tone in the entire amp - just not a Marshall to me. My DSL far exceeds anything that could ever come out of a JVM, IMHO. I lost $150 trying to move my JVM as fast as I could.

I don't like Mesas, so I can't comment.

The SLO isn't 'IT' with the master under 5 (and anything above 4 is LOUD), I prefer the Salvado module. If you play smaller clubs, you will kill people trying to get 'that' tone out of the amp. That said, not sure I'd ever sell my SLO.

I have a bandmate that has a JVM 410H. Out of the box, I wasn't real impressed with it. He's handy with a soldering iron, and did many mods to it that were documented on the JVM forums. It sounds really awesome now, but he had to put quite a bit of work into it. He's selling it for $1150 I think (he's the one that just got the 50w 5153 head), if you'd like for me to connect you guys ;)

Have you considered...

Marshall DSL (affordable)
Voodoo Amps V-Rock Dual Lead (expensive)

:?:

Well, he's not really using it anymore since got the 5153 ;) Seriously, it sounds *really* good now - he can get tones out of it that are pretty much spot-on with the Ceriatone Chupacabra he had, plus he added all sorts of switches and doo-dads that affect the sound. He's probably put 20 or more hours into taking it apart and putting it back together again to do the mods to it. Still, that sucker is *loud*. He was typically running it between 1 and 1.5 for gigs. 100w of tube power really can be a ridiculous amount of power to bring to small club gigs hehe

drewiv said:
rhequiem said:
I have a bandmate that has a JVM 410H.

I'm sorry. :lol: