Crowd-source mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
m0jo said:
Or maybe everyone can chip in with their thoughts on the perfect crunch tone, and you can Frankenstein those idea's/amps into one awesome mod.

That's interesting idea.

This idea assumes that most of the high gainers (anything not a recto or XTC) are pretty similar in layout, but add all sorts of switches like 3 way tight (normal, tight, loose) on c3, similar mid and high, post-EQ and gain bright switch so it doesn't get lost in the gain, gain boost, etc. Maybe an EQ change would be cool, but that might be really hard to do without copying.

A few weeks ago i ran across a thread that included an in-depth explanation from Sacred Groove about that 3 way switch for "tight-normal-loose" using C3 and a dpdt switch. Think it was him . . .Gonna track it down and link it as soon as I get home later. And I'd really like to see some ideas about changing the bright switch to a "more gain" switch for mid gain modules. Ya' know, like having that switch change a Plexi to an SL+. Which is what I've been trying to figure out the last couple weeks.

This one?

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=85887#85887

I think I will gather all the stuffs like this, make a pretty presentation, and maybe get JF to sticky it.

Mikal69 said:
The Carvin I think I can help out on. My Peacmaker has the same mojo as my Carvin that I had. Great Marshally warm clean and smooth gain when rolled up. It was built on a Plexi module and has plenty of SOZO caps and Carbon Comp resistors to help with a vintage tube amp feel.

i'm glad your still enjoying the "peacemaker" :)
Dont worry I wont share all the magic. :wink: You did good!

m0jo said:
IMO the question should be: what can be done that is fresh and new?

Some ideas:

[*]Maybe someone else knows digital electronics enough to add midi control to a module to switch more features remotely.

Grettings to all it's my first post here, i apologize for my bad english.

Don't know about midi enough to come up with some idea but...
recently i just fineshed cloning the entire OD channel of the Bogner Ecstasy (Plexi mode, structure, and blue red channel switching, plus a tight switch) on my stock XTC module.
Everithing is cloned minus a couple 470K Ohm stock resistor (500k on the schematics) and R2 on the module (3.3M vs 500K on schematics).
I plan on change that too and then listen to the change in tone.
I'm very happy with the result so far, the module has 3 usable different channel on it but the problem is switching while plaing between them.
Plus it looks like an helicopter, i do like it but some may argue.

So here comes my idea:

-Remove the switches from the module.

-Add a mini-din 8 pin female connector: (the one in the picture needs a 13.5mm mounting hole!)
0204035_19.jpg

-Add a cable and put those switches inside a nice alluminium footswitch box.

-play

If we use an ON-OFF-ON switches on the module, instead of the ON-ON, we can leave the one on the module and have footswitchable controls togheter.
We need just to attach the external footswitch and remember to put the switch on the module on the OFF position.

A more simple approach to the "external control" idea would be to put volume and gain control on expression pedals.

A more advanced use would be to take the channel switch and input signal on module A and bring them to module B (both equipped with the mini-din connector); then take the audio out from moudle B and connect it to the module A output.
I'm not sure if we need this last step or if the output of module B would go dirctly to the power amp without rerouting the signal.
You could balance/mix the sound coming from the two of them using the level control on the module itself.

If someone is interested i'll post a picture of the ext-controls when they're done.

Here is an idea that some people might be interested in. If you can make a substitution box with multiple resistor values on a dial with leads that have alligator clips on them then you could use it to try multiple resistor values in a spot on the board without having to keep replacing them. For example, let's say you were thinking about replacing the r31 resistor & the value is 47k, u could take out the resistor. U could use some of the excess leads from a new resistor (you would have to clip it anyway) & solder them in as posts that u can hook ur alligator clips to, then start with ur substitution box @ the 47k spot & let's say turn it to 33k, that isn't ur thing , try 22k, or 56k, etc. Experiment with different values until u find the one you like, another example was one I did on my plexi, I took the r7 which was 56k out, that resistor affects the gain, I did the example I listed before & turned the dial until I got to 220k, then I felt the gain was perfect. Perfect for me & what I liked. I wasn't trying to copy another amps sound or anything but it gave me what I needed. This tip might help others, & you can even build a capacitor substitution box as well & maybe experiment with those. I've seen a lot of people talking about DIY but it seems more about what people should or should not be doing as far as sharing ideas are concerned. I for one think that any help from others is really appreciated for sure & I thought I would just throw out this idea that I had. Any feedback would be great.

disk11 said:
I'd say use a pot rather than switching resistors like that. Might be useful for caps though.[/quot

This isn't an idea for a mod, just a tool to help someone do a mod. It actually works very well & it is quick. I had wanted to try different values of caps or resistors. I could have taken the resistor out & tried to solder in a bunch of different values until i found the one i wanted but that seemed like a lot of trouble & a waste. I found that using a substitution box it let me try many different values by just turning the dial & i could avoid having to keep taking out a resistor & soldering in a new one & then taking that one out & trying another value & so on. Once you find the value you like then you just permanently replace the resistor with the new value that you like better. It is a great way to experiment. Like when I did that on my plexi I wasn't sure what value I wanted, 56k was too little gain, as I turned the dial on my substitution box, as the value was increased, so was the gain. When I got to 220k, I really liked it. I turned it past that too but it was too much. So I unhooked everything & soldered in my 220k & now I love it.

Yea, I see value in the substitution box. A pot would probably work the same, but you'd have to take a reading of the resistance once you found the desired tone. the substitution box tells you the exact value to use. From there, just experiment with the type of cap you want to use.

I'd love to see a diagram or link of how you put the substitution box together.

speed2dirt said:
Yea, I see value in the substitution box. A pot would probably work the same, but you'd have to take a reading of the resistance once you found the desired tone. the substitution box tells you the exact value to use. From there, just experiment with the type of cap you want to use.

I'd love to see a diagram or link of how you put the substitution box together.

This should be even easier for everyone, here is a link for a resistor substitution box kit for only $15, all the resistors are 1/2 watt & have a really good range of values. You have to put it together but that is no problem. You can also get one for capacitors as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002BBQLY/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1332255218&sr=8-2