Dave Friedman Brahma mod to a Plexi

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBrewtus

Reaction score
A short time ago I bought this module and it has been confirmed by
Dave himself that it is what he calls his Brahma mod. I made a short
clip of it with my phone and thought I would share. Nothing great,
crappy IMO. Try to get something better soon. The module is
real modded vintage sounding. Great bite but controlled. I am using
the neck pickup of my PRS.
http://soundcloud.com/bigbrewtus/dave-friedman-brahma-mod

sounds better than the Judge to me...not as mushy,more defined bass....would be curious to hear a really good recording of it...cant wait to get my BE now.....It seems to be traveling the country for free courtesy of the usps....lol

alowerdeep said:
sounds better than the Judge to me...not as mushy,more defined bass....would be curious to hear a really good recording of it...cant wait to get my BE now.....It seems to be traveling the country for free courtesy of the usps....lol

Have you played a Judge bro? No mush at all...There is a certain "feel" to it though, hard to describe but a bit different than other mods. Def not a high gainer but this clip has the same flavor for sure.

rblyn said:
BigBrewtus said:

Hey Josh- Sounds a LOT like the Judge...Seriously! Hmmm...I am about ready to pull mine off the classifieds. I do that sometimes (get GAS) and lose all senses. Friedman knows his stuff.
Thats good to know. I had wanted to try a Judge for a long time. This one isnt really high gain but I really like it. I had the gain on about 11 oclock. I like for the module to keep its definition. Doesnt look like a ton was changed on this mod but just enough to kill. hahaha A far cry from a stock plexi.

FYI EQ
Bass: 10
Mids: 1:30
Treble: 2
Bright switch on.
DF confirmed this is not similar to his BE, C45 or HBE.
I am planning on a studio recording of this module very soon. You dont really get a full on feel of a tone from el cheapo recordings. hahaha

That sounds BETTER than the judge to my ears too but we'd have to hear a better cleaner recording to "judge".

Speaking of the judge, I pretty much restored it to stock this morning. I think i like it best as is with 100k in R7. Not a lot of gain but hell, that is what an OD is for.. it's a solid module when turned up but hey what can i say, I still think the Hilligan SL+ spanks it.

Never owned one,but Ive heard alot of clips of it....just sounds alot lllike those typical marshalls with the softer or mushier low end...not as pronounced or articulate in teh bass as a Soldano or Boogie....I like that type of OD though...

I am looking forward to the higher quality clip. That sounds pretty good on the bridge pickup. What speakers are you using?

alowerdeep said:
Never owned one,but Ive heard alot of clips of it....just sounds alot lllike those typical marshalls with the softer or mushier low end...not as pronounced or articulate in teh bass as a Soldano or Boogie....I like that type of OD though...

You pretty much got it...Its all about the mids with this mod, same with properly modded Marshalls or old school ones. I dont care much for the JVM's high gain. Its sterile and the amp lacks character to me. The Soldanos and Mesas are beefier for sure, but playing standard or half step down for 80's or 90's style metal- it is one of the best modded Marshall tones I've heard. Trace's at Voodoo are really cool too. THere are better modules for modern/dropped tuned stuff I am sure. (JF Erect for example or even my SL-OD100 has a more "umphh"...And FWIW, when I speak of my experience with these modules, I am typically referring to how they sound in the mix with my band because thats where i use them the most- not how they track in the studio (which varies too) and certainly not how they sound at home at low volume. Your better cutting live guitar tones usually dont sound all that great on their own, its when you fire it with the drums/bass/vocals that counts to me.

Kapo_Polenton said:
That sounds BETTER than the judge to my ears too but we'd have to hear a better cleaner recording to "judge".

Speaking of the judge, I pretty much restored it to stock this morning. I think i like it best as is with 100k in R7. Not a lot of gain but hell, that is what an OD is for.. it's a solid module when turned up but hey what can i say, I still think the Hilligan SL+ spanks it.

To each his own.. and Kapo you're never going to say anything good about the Judge!! :D .Jeff knows his stuff- I cant imagine him doing a bad mod so I am sure that SL kicks @ss- The Judge is not a high gainer anyway..I see it as a mid gainer with "mojo" for days...

Actually, the judge is good in the sense that it is very organic sounding. I think it would pair very well with a telecaster for some good ol southern rock type of thing. I wish i had a telecaster for that reason. I have about 3 strats... actually 4 . I need to diversify!

Kapo_Polenton said:
Actually, the judge is good in the sense that it is very organic sounding. I think it would pair very well with a telecaster for some good ol southern rock type of thing. I wish i had a telecaster for that reason. I have about 3 strats... actually 4 . I need to diversify!
You would dig this mod. Can be very bright and organic. I've come to like the less refined tones these days. The ones that sounds overdriven and a bit raunchy but still give off string clarity. That is my Organic term I guess. Lol
The Friedman stuff seems along these lines. Bogner too.

Latest posts