Diagnosing a Lynch Box Combo Problem

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaGuy

Reaction score
My Lynch box crackles and pops and then the volume fades and eventually disappears. If start picking pretty hard or messing with guitar volume knob then the volume starts coming and wham it's all back all of the sudden but only to go back to the same behavior within a 15 minute span Not sure what's up? I change the modules tubes and that's not it, the power section tubes seem ok -they bias just fine. Any tips on what can be causing this? Does it sound like an input or power transformer problem?

Thanks!

Check the following: Cables, tubes (especially V1), your input jack.

Several people have fixed this same kind of problem by cleaning the input jack, tube sockets and module interfaces with Deoxit.

Don't forget to clean the fx loop jacks :)

Usually just inserting and removing a plug 2 or 3 times is sufficient but a little contact cleaner doesn't hurt.

I know it sounds painfully simple, but give your jacks a good cleaning with Deoxit5. :)

Also: clean your cable plugs themselves, otherwise you stick that grime right back in there ...

What you are saying makes sense. When I pick harder then the signal current is stronger and somehow gets thing going again.

I will look for a can of DeoxIT and see what happens. I also have some cheap cables in the effect loops that might be end-of-life. I'll replace those as well.

Out of curiosity, when do you know your input or output transformers are ready to go out. I was told that the symptoms were similar to what I was hearing.

Thanks everyone! :D

DaGuy said:
What you are saying makes sense. When I pick harder then the signal current is stronger and somehow gets thing going again.

I will look for a can of DeoxIT and see what happens. I also have some cheap cables in the effect loops that might be end-of-life. I'll replace those as well.

Out of curiosity, when do you know your input or output transformers are ready to go out. I was told that the symptoms were similar to what I was hearing.

Thanks everyone! :D
Yes, I experienced this exact symptom with two seperate amps.

I thought the transformers of my Laney were going out, but it turns out it was the FX-loop jacks.
It's prettyuncommon to have your transformers go on you..

Have fun cleaning ;)

Did the recommended cleaning and (drum roll) the problem is gone!
Thanks!!

:D

DaGuy said:
Thanks!!

Win!

How is the LB combo? Wanted one of those for a long time...since I'm a ***** for the 50watters!

How is the LB combo? Wanted one of those for a long time...since I'm a ***** for the 50watters!

I think it's the greatest amp ever made :D Well, almost...

Best features are the warm glowing tube tone, great fat bottom and range. Range? Everyone knows that metal sounds -in my case Marshall JCM800 type tones- are very available but did you know that with a nice overdrive pedal I can get the Lynch box + Super-V to sound very Dumble-like? So from Dumble smooth overdriven tones to real scorchers from The Judge all in one (forgot to mention heavy) combo. If it dies on me, I will miserable for a long long time.

Cheers!

DaGuy said:
Thanks!!

I'm glad that's all it was. Keep rocking MTS, man.
Welcome to the forum. :D