Djent tones???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NgrungeBB91

Reaction score
Right now i have a Blackface, Gigmods Modded XTC(which may help with this) and a Treadplate.. Ive been trying to dial in tones for Djent/Progressive music ever since i got into it like a month ago but nothing is working. What can i do to get a tone like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y98Kz4oUacA Do i need an Ultra XL or modded Ultra XL? I know those get VERY tight. Thanks!

The Ultra XL will get there. The treadplate might get there with a tight guitar and a boost. Never played an xtc to know about that. An SL+ would definitely get there also, particularly the older more modern sounding one.

1666 or Chubacabre from Salvation is right up your alley
I might suggest an Ultra over XL, though XL is a better overall module. Ultra is more sinister though

Yeah, i was actually think of the 1666 too.. Id love to get one from him but i heard he's always backed up with work too. I also might try the Ultra's. What would i have to do to my Treadplate to EQ like that? boost mids and treble?

well you need to first look at the source... These newer metal bands play 7 and 8 string guitars usually tuned down anywhere from a half to a whole step down, and they use thick gauged strings also. Your also gonna want some decently hot pickups playing dropped tunings. As long as you have a more modern sounding module and a guitar setup like that with low action you'll get in the ballpark, its a very tight, and muddy tone, but you have to remember the guitar and bass share alot of ground with this type of metal, so your live stuff will sound a little different than Periphery's recording without all the other elements.

Now that I am on my mobile I can see the video. Bulb recorded all that with a Pod on the "treadplate" and/or "bigbottom" setting, a screamer w/ gain min vol maxed, 412 v30 sim, and lots of compression EQ and gating with the gain actually relatively low. However, when I played his Pod settings I never sounded like that. Watch the Premier Guitar Monsters of High Gain Shootout. Bulb sounds pretty much the same on every amp he plays with very little flavor differences.

As for what might get you closer to that with out the technique issue: boost with an overdrive. Turn the gain way down (like 9-10 oclock) add a compressor up front if you can. Really hit your strings hard. You need a thick pick for this type of sound. V30s would help. For a guitar, something 25.5" scale, mahogany body, and bright attacky pickups like BKP Painkillers, Evo, Lundgren or an EMG 81 would help out a lot also. I still say start with the Treadplate module, and go from there.

Keep in mind Bulb has what I like to call a "producer's ear" and because of this his tone sounds like absolute crap solo, but you throw it into a mix and it just fits perfectly.

sepherus said:
Now that I am on my mobile I can see the video. Bulb recorded all that with a Pod on the "treadplate" and/or "bigbottom" setting, a screamer w/ gain min vol maxed, 412 v30 sim, and lots of compression EQ and gating with the gain actually relatively low. However, when I played his Pod settings I never sounded like that. Watch the Premier Guitar Monsters of High Gain Shootout. Bulb sounds pretty much the same on every amp he plays with very little flavor differences.

As for what might get you closer to that with out the technique issue: boost with an overdrive. Turn the gain way down (like 9-10 oclock) add a compressor up front if you can. Really hit your strings hard. You need a thick pick for this type of sound. V30s would help. For a guitar, something 25.5" scale, mahogany body, and bright attacky pickups like BKP Painkillers, Evo, Lundgren or an EMG 81 would help out a lot also. I still say start with the Treadplate module, and go from there.

Keep in mind Bulb has what I like to call a "producer's ear" and because of this his tone sounds like absolute crap solo, but you throw it into a mix and it just fits perfectly.

Alright this helped me out alot since you added alot of technical idea's in there. Plus you looked up on what Misha does! Thanks alot! Ill see what i can do with that and try to form it up with the compressor and overdrive.

No problem. I always enjoy talking gear and tone and trying to help some one else with it. I used to be pretty active on sevenstring.org. He used to be fairly active there too. He still is when they aren't on tour I guess, I just don't bother with there any more for some reason.

what about last part?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCBouy641c

sepherus said:
No problem. I always enjoy talking gear and tone and trying to help some one else with it. I used to be pretty active on sevenstring.org. He used to be fairly active there too. He still is when they aren't on tour I guess, I just don't bother with there any more for some reason.

Yeah, i go on there all the time and yeah i heard he was always on there talking to people. Misha is one good hearted dude.

hyenik said:
what about last part?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCBouy641c

That does sound very similar to what im looking for. If that had a baritone scale + better pickups that could also hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the find. I didnt even know Anthony started doing those previews haha they are pretty cool.