do i need a class 5?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter420

Reaction score
I want one of the marshall mini heads. I have a jtm 45 that I love, but is ungodly loud. I have my rm 50 with yellow jacket el84 in it now, should I spend the money on a class 5 head, or a freidman mod for my plexi or sl+?[/quote]

My opinion is no. Ive played one and they only sound good pushed. So it would have to be loud. I would take a good module in my RM20 any day over the Class 5.

Totally agree with Brewtus... I went from a Class 5 to an RM50 and get far, far better tones at much lower volumes with the Randall--even with EL34's. And modded modules certainly make a huge difference over the stock offerings.

I concur,

your RM is as good as anything new from these big amp factories. Save the money for a cool module, or a boo teek or vintage piece.

Have fun!

My RM50 is great at low volumes. Turn up the density control .. Also get the stock modules modded by Jaded Faith or Sacred Groove.. Their mods are scary good. The Class 5 is a toy

I should also chime in that last year when I was managing a music store all five Class 5's we sold came back and had to go back to Marshall.....

Jaded Faith said:
I should also chime in that last year when I was managing a music store all five Class 5's we sold came back and had to go back to Marshall.....

+1 Yep, skip the Class 5...I reduce the volume in the loop to get good tones at low levels...Better than an attenuator!

BigBrewtus said:
My opinion is no. Ive played one and they only sound good pushed. So it would have to be loud. I would take a good module in my RM20 any day over the Class 5.

+1 I agree totally. I have 2 - RM20 combos & an RM50. Between these amps & several modules to choose from you can dial in whatever you want !!
From pristine clean to over the top metal AND at LOW volumes too !! 8)

Class 5's have to be played on 7 or 8 to sound good...The RM 20's and 50's are way better sounding amps at any volume....And are built far better

I love the little "lunch box" amps. Ive owned the Tiny Terror and a Night Train. They kick *** but the Class A amps can only do so much. The NT was very versatile but the little Orange was just remarkable with the gain rolled up. Almost kept it, then almost bought another.

Randall should put an attenuator on the RM20 ^^
That way you could have an RM5 with the turn of a knob! :D