Does anyone like stock modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunchtime

Reaction score
I have an UltraXL module and get some awesome metal tone from it. It needs nothing. Sometimes I'll use my MXR EQ in the loop with it.

It seems almost everyone here is unsatisfied with anything unmodded. I feel if you cant get the EQ or level of gain you want out of an amp with the help of an EQ or OD pedal, that amp probably is not worth having.

Sorry if this seems harsh. I don't spend much time at this forum and don't really know how sensitive it is.

Its all about tone chasing. All of my modules are un-modded but every once in a while I wish I had something a little different. Since you can easily swap them in and out its easier to get your tone by getting a module modded.

Jack Napalm said:
Its all about tone chasing. All of my modules are un-modded but every once in a while I wish I had something a little different. Since you can easily swap them in and out its easier to get your tone by getting a module modded.

Have you ever tried an MXR 10 band EQ? It opens up a world of tones. Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the purpose of modding modules to adjust or expand the EQ of a module? Or is it to boost the gain or cut the noise?

My MXR 10 band, OD pedals, and noise gate do all of this and are more flexible and can be used on every module. With the mods you have to invest $ in every module you want to change. I guess I just don't get it.

I wish I could conduct a shootout between a stock module with my pedals and a modded module.

I use a Boss EQ20 in my loop for changing tones. Along with a Cusack Screamer up front. Its not just about the EQ. Sometimes its the gain or the clipping of the circuit.

modding modules is not comparable to throwing an eq and boost pedals in your circuit

stock mods are cool, but many modders- gigimods, salvation, and JFaith- are superior in clarity and quality

Not to mention the clone mods of pete gigmods and anthony salvation are a lot more than just a "change in eq"

I think Ray said it well. The modules are pretty good and may be fine for most. Which is exactly what the design team at Randall has to do to market to the masses.

If you are looking for a little something more or unique, that's where we can help with our services. Typical mods replace many parts with better ones that open up the sound and make them more responsive. We can re-voice them to your wants and needs (this is different than what you can accomplish with an EQ pedal). We can add options to a module that will allow it to cover lots of ground in one slot, which is great both gigging and recording. I think it all comes down to the player and his needs. By no means is there ever one solution or means to an end. Tone is a highly personal and subjective thing and that's part of the beauty of it.

I love my unmodded Plexi & SL+

But...

I have just recently purchased a modded Deluxe and will hopefully have my Gigmodded Blackface soon.

If this Deluxe is any indication as to what a modded module sounds like, I'm gonna get them ALL modded.

Then I'm gonna sleep with them all and have a modded preamp orgy extravaganza !! :twisted:

guitarcomet said:

But...

I have just recently purchased a modded Deluxe and will hopefully have my Gigmodded Blackface soon.

If this Deluxe is any indication as to what a modded module sounds like, I'm gonna get them ALL modded.

Then I'm gonna sleep with them all and have a modded preamp orgy extravaganza !! :twisted:

The problem is...you'll still be sat there wondering "What if?" as in

What if this sounds better with EL84s and an Alnico speaker?

What if I ran this with 6L6 and v30s?

....and the madness never stops :D

JKD said:
guitarcomet said:

But...

The problem is...you'll still be sat there wondering "What if?" as in

What if this sounds better with EL84s and an Alnico speaker?

What if I ran this with 6L6 and v30s?

....and the madness never stops :D
this is so true, sigh :cry:

Crunchtime said:
My MXR 10 band, OD pedals, and noise gate do all of this and are more flexible and can be used on every module. With the mods you have to invest $ in every module you want to change.
no, i dont think those pedals can do all of it for the simple fact that each module has its own sound. from stock sound how would you use those pedals to make all wanted adjustments for each module without stopping the show and tweaking some knobs whenever you switched modules?

I like the stock modules and still have not bought into the mod thing yet... problem is I'm not wondering what if... I'm very happy with the results I'm getting and do not find it necassary to chase tone further to that.

I just got my RM100Lb today so bare with me, :oops: but it came with:
Stock - SL+, Blackface, XTC
Modded(JF mod) - Treadplate

I think the Treadplate sounds great with the mods, although i only have memory to compare it too, but as for the other three that are stock in my opinion the Blackface sound pretty dead on for me and has a really nice clean. i use it with the gain around 9-10 o'clock and everything else hovering around noon, give or take.

The SL+ lacks for me i find. it's just missing "something" and im not quite sure what it is yet.

The XTC sounded like utter crap for me and i was glad i had more mods so this one could gather dust, but i was tinkering with my BBE sonic max and hooked it up in the series port put the levels around 11 and 12 and it made the XTC sound like one of my best.

going back over all the other mods the BBE made everything sound much tighter and better overall, as long as you don't over use it. the blackface though had little effect from the BBE.

I love the stock modules, and I love mod'd ones. Two different beasts, as they should be (IMO). If I have a stock module I hear/try and do not like, I will look to see what mods have been done to it, and look for results. If I like/love a stock module (say, SL+ post '07), and I hear a mod I think I will love.. save money time, cause I will likely want both. And with some, I have found multiple mods of a single module that REALLY interest me.

As an example:
I love my Plexi and SL+, and would love to have Dave mod both of them twice over... 6 modules total, and likely overkill. But then I have a HUGE desire for the Custom 3 and the MatchVox... and possibly a mod to personalize a Phish :D And with the Ultra Lead? I can hear at least 2 more mods to it I would love.

slashnstrings said:
".... in my opinion the Blackface sound pretty dead on for me and has a really nice clean.
I agree to some extent, but in contrast with other modules, it is weak, not "dead on" Fender ...and too brittle for my tastes. (I'm having it modded)
slashnstrings said:
The SL+ lacks for me i find. it's just missing "something" and im not quite sure what it is yet.
The SL+ is the only module I'm 100% happy with (for now...:lol:)
slashnstrings said:
The XTC sounded like utter crap for me and i was glad i had more mods so this one could gather dust, but i was tinkering with my BBE sonic max and hooked it up in the series port put the levels around 11 and 12 and it made the XTC sound like one of my best.
Funny how that is. I have a BBE 462...maybe I should try it with my stock XTC that I dislike? :lol:

@guitarcomet - you should give the BBe a try it made it better for me just don't crank those BBE knobs or you'll want to rip your ears off from the compression, lol.

Two things i forgot to mention the blackface sems to have a crakle when i use my active pickups witch bugs me, I read about a mod that gets rid of that So I may do that one myself.

And the SL+ Does sound pretty good, it may not be missing anything, it may be my taste since i am more of a fan of the "california" sound rather then the british sound. I may still have to mod it, :lol: it would be a waste to make it sound like the treadplate since i already have that, so i will have to think it though before modding it

If you are fortunate enough to have The Modded Mods, you will be disappointed with stock !!! At least I am , all my slots are filled with tweaked modules.

I like the stock UltraXL. It's not quite as tight and quiet as the Benzin and 1666 I have, but it works.

Stock modules I can easily use without issue (have for years and still do)

Grail
Brahma
Scary
SuperV
KH3 (this one is a stretch..think it's not quite 'years' yet)
Blackface
Ultra Lead
Ultra (alright I modded c3 on it!!! :D)
Top Boost (although I didn't really appreciate this until I got some nice passive PUs)
UltraXL (never kept it long tho'..still prefer the darker Ultra for me)
SL+ (with the official/published Randall JCM800 mod spec)
JTM (AC/DC or blues for days with this bad boy..although I can't remember if I changed c3..probably not!)

A lot of the earlier Silver faced mods had too high c3 values and in early production wrong R1 values...once these were later corrected (and Randall published the 'how to') many older modules became much more useable....granted this is a mod, well maybe more a 'spec change'