Egnater Amp Build Revisit

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonesponge

Reaction score
I was at the first amp build class, and it was a one day affair. We did not get a chance to have the instruction portion that was added as the second day of the class.

Bruce told me I could sit in on one of the class's second day for free, and I took him up on the offer a couple weekends ago. All I can say is, WOW! It was totally worth going back for the second day.

Bruce mentioned he had a few hiccups the first few lectures, and did not get to cover everything sometimes, but he obviously has it down to a science now. I've tried reading books and articles and doing the AX87 cooperative amp project and so forth, but it was this class that finally ramped up my understanding to the point I think I actually know my stuff. I recommend it highly.

Also, Bruce has changed the kit a bit. He replaced the tube rectifier with a solid state one and added an effects loop. There is a new front panel that ids correctly labeled for the modifications he did to the input jacks. And there is a screen over the opening on the back of the cabinet now. Bruce also mentioned that a pot will be added to control the amount of cut that is applied by the footswitch. So future classes are going to cost a little bit more to make up for the extras.

Bruce offered to mod my amp that I built by adding the effects loop and new front panel and so forth, but I'll keep the tube rectifier I suppose. Maybe one day I'll turn the amp up loud enough to hear the "sag" that results in the added compression and spongy attack. Hasn't come up yet though. I can see why Bruce says that a tube rectifier only really makes a difference in a low wattage amp (like 15 watts or less).

That's cool... I was in the first class too and have often wondered if I could "audit" the second day of the classes to learn more about the nuts & bolts.

I haven't done any mods to my amp since the seminar, but I still play it more often than any of my other amps. An effects loop would be cool, and I'd love to have the pot to control the footswitched level.

--B

Hey Brent,

You can already control the footswitch cut level by using a volume pedal instead of a footswitch. You just plug in from the out jack to the pedal input on the amp. It basically gives you a volume control between the first and second gain stages. If you plug into the clean jack, which bypasses the first gain stage, then the pedal acts the same as turning down the volume level on your guitar.

Bruce said he can send you plans to build a footswitch that has a pot on it so you can control the amount of cut that way. But, like you, I think I'd rather have the pot on my amp. And while he says it is really simple to build the footswitch, I've never done anything like that. I wouldn't even know where to get the casing, etc. So I'm skeptical of it really being all that easy for me. Bruce says the knob will be on the back panel of the amp.

I use a volume pedal on my Fender Pro Junior to go from rhythm to lead, but I have to plug the guitar into the volume pedal and then into the amp, and it really does just work like the volume control on the guitar. And while it is easy to go to the lead setting, it is hard to find that rhythm point on the fly consistently. I thought about adding a set screw to control the throw in one direction so I could get the rhythm set point consistently. Still thinking about it. It would really help with a strat. But a footswitch with knob for level control would be cool too. But when I use my SG, I just set the volume on the neck pickup for rhythm, and then use the pickup selector switch on the guitar to go from rhythm to lead. The rhythm on the SG just doen't sparkle like the Strat, though.

One neat thing about having a tube rectifier is that you can swap out different ones within spec that will change the B+ Voltage to your amp. Some rectifiers are more efficient than others. If you do this, you'll need to check your bias as it will have changed, but you can really vary your B+ voltage (think of it as a built in variac) with this trick. The nicest thing about this type of a 'variac' is that you aren't messing with the heater voltages so as long as you keep an eye on your bias it's a harmless mod.If you get a plug in rectifier like the Webers, then you have that many more options.

Pete

okstrat said:
One neat thing about having a tube rectifier is that you can swap out different ones within spec that will change the B+ Voltage to your amp. Some rectifiers are more efficient than others. If you do this, you'll need to check your bias as it will have changed, but you can really vary your B+ voltage (think of it as a built in variac) with this trick. The nicest thing about this type of a 'variac' is that you aren't messing with the heater voltages so as long as you keep an eye on your bias it's a harmless mod.If you get a plug in rectifier like the Webers, then you have that many more options.

Pete

Not only that but I believe you can get plug in solid state rectifiers too ?

I;ve often woundered about the possibility of doing tube rectifier mod to an RM100.

I believe Groove Tubes makes a solid state rectifier that plugs into tube sockets

SS5AR4.jpg

Have one lucky spot open for the July 14/15th seminar. No others scheduled in the near future but we plan to start back up in mid September. Last chance for now.

email [email protected] for info

or visit egnater.com

Latest posts