Egnater Dual Channel Module - Comments?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my 2 cents:

I have one dual channel M4 and one more on the way. I'm using a Randall Rt2/50 w/ 34's on one side and either 6l6's or KT88's on the other. One side of the Randall feeds a VHT 4x12 with V30's and the other side feeds a Randall iso cab w/ v30. I'm only really interested in what the guitars sound like recorded so I monitor through Pro Tools and studio monitors.
The modules I have are: Twin, SL2, VOX and Eg3/4. I had MHG and Erect, but couldn't get an useable tone out of them that I liked. On the way are the Egnater Bassman/Dlx, the Randall 1086 and the Randall Rectified modules (I'll be replacing the cap in the Rect)
Having previously owned the Randall RM4, I can honestly say that the Eg version DOES sound better. I don't know if it's the M4 w/ the effects loop or the modules themselves. I just noticed that the M4 sounded noticeably richer and more inspiring than the Rm4 to my ears.
I have found that for clean-80's rock, the M4 can sound great and will cover all ground in between. The Vox module is especially georgious. If you want to get a modern metal sound, unless you are using pedals or other processing along with the M4, I think you might want to check out some of the Randall modules. I use an Engl E570 for that heavy, modern metal tone. It blows away every randall and Eg module I've heard yet in the hard rock/metal arena, but it can't do all the georgious semi-break up tones that the M4 can. The two are a very good compbination imo.
One note: I'm using two stock PRS guitars and nothing with EMG's so you may have better success with some of the Eg modules than I had for modern rock/metal tones. I'm sure you could get in the ballpark with active pickups and a slight overdrive pedal on the front end.
Overall, I think the M4 is a great product both in tones and features. 8 different tube channels in two rack spaces is pretty sweet. Combine that with the Randall switching power amp with different tube types on each channel and you have 16 different tube tones with the step of a button.
I just wish Eg had a bigger staff and was able to put out a few more modules. Especially ones that get into the Engl, Diezel and Bogner arenas.

I hope this helps some,
cheers.