Egnater Men: Lend me your ears.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
I'm placing my order for my mod50 in the next 3 weeks. I need to make module choices. Im doing Two at first

Clean/low gain choices:

VX
DLX
Blkface

I really want a nice clean with a lot of bass response and really great bell like quality ala John Mayer(who stole it from stevie ray who stole it from jimi hendrix). I want a clean channel that just screams "put a strat in me PLEASE!". I'd love to be able to get some good mid gain stuff out of it too, somewhat tom petty/beatles-ish. Good for jangly chords and indie rock. Im thinkin BLKface is best for the john mayer sound and vx for the latter. But which one sits on that fence the best bc its gonna be a long time before i can buy more mods.

DISTORTION!

SL2
MHG
E-Rect

I play in a death metal band right now. I need mids and harmonics and gain! Chugga chuggas are a must, pinch harmonics everywhere, solos, all the fun stuff. MHG sounds awesome on all of the clips ive heard, but all of them have really. i'd like something that could clean up and handle Ac/dc/ modern country stuff too.

Someone cure my indesisive-ness(and grammar issues)

go to amazing tone .com and listen to the Twin he finger picks and then plays Bluesy country .its amazing i dig it more than the VX Ithink it would be better for KWS and country /also i think at Namm they might realease a Deluxe/Twin in the same mod ..now if I could get them to do a EG3/MHG id be in heaven ..lol
im in the sameboat actually and everyone i talk to says MHG for Harmonic pinches and thick mids I think it is suppossed to be a cross between a Recto anfd SL++ .

Well, I have owned all three (single channel versions) of the clean mods you are looking at. By far I like the B'man the best for the very reasons you mentioned. I wanted something that sits on the fence between those tones as well, and it has to do a good jangly Tom Petty rhythm guitar sound. The Fender Bassman was, is, and always will be a great amp.

Can't help you on the heavey tortured death metal sound, it's not my area, but there are plenty here to advise you well!

Good luck.

Well the E'Rect isn't quite a death metal sound, although when I think of death metal it's usually a very thin-sounding, rapid buzzy tone. :? I dig the E'Rect a lot. MHG is very cool too. I think the MHG has more emphasis on the mids than the E'Rect does, but I can still get pinch harmonics on my E'Rect module without issue! I saw a dude locally selling one of those Zoom H4 recorders.... I'm thinking about picking it up so I can finally make some sound clips so people can finally hear it! :D I am pretty sure I swapped the preamp tubes so I'll have to check what I'm using right now but whatever it is... it sounds great! I would also like to see a module that was the second channel on the MHG in channel A and then second channel on E'Rect in channel B... that would be my ultimate module!!! :twisted:

COOL,
I would love to hear more clips .ill probably take the plunge in Feb after Namm wonder if new mods are comming other than the COD

Well as far as the death metal sound goes, I HATE scooped buzzy tones. I use a very mid laden sound and i love having a lot of low end chunk to it. I'm pretty much on the boat with the MHG at this point, and hell if it doesnt work two pay checks and i've got another mod on the way! Its a beautiful thing.

Clean sounds still giving me troubles. Ive never been big on tweed style fenders; but i've always loved twins and my dad used to have an old deluxe which was awesome. When I say stevie ray style sounds im talking more his cleans. Not quite that bluesy snarl that everyone seems to love the bman and tweed modules for. I think im just gonna get the Twin module.

Spider,
Did you check out the twin clip at amazing tone. com .Its very sparkly the guy is playing something like dust inm the wind and it sounds great.

xspiderfingersx said:
I really want a nice clean with a lot of bass response and really great bell like quality ala John Mayer(who stole it from stevie ray who stole it from jimi hendrix). I want a clean channel that just screams "put a strat in me PLEASE!". I'd love to be able to get some good mid gain stuff out of it too, somewhat tom petty/beatles-ish. Good for jangly chords and indie rock. Im thinkin BLKface is best for the john mayer sound and vx for the latter. But which one sits on that fence the best bc its gonna be a long time before i can buy more mods.

On the clean sound, I agree with 3 Mile Stone that the Bassman module might be closest to what you are looking for. Also, I think that at one time there was a single-channel Egnater EG2 module available? This is the 2nd channel from the IE-4/TOL100 line, the Texas Blues/Vintage American channel.

I believe that the EG2 tone may be exactly what you are looking for, judging from your description. I have both a pre-Rocktron IE-4 and a MICA TOL 100 head and on channel 2 with a Strat and the gain between 4-5, it is instant SRV tone. IMO this channel also responds well to many pedals if you need a bit more grit. Maybe Bruce could do an EG2 module for you if you asked?

I may have been wrong to mention SRV haha. He's one of my favorite artists of all time, however, im looking for a bell like clean like the TOP strings of his tone haha. More along the lines of john mayers sound, a very round sounding fenderish clean, but with a lot of bass response. As far as the dirty sounds go im sure i can muster what im looking for out of the vx, dlx or twin's second channel, but the glistening clean is more the goal at this point.

Spider, glistening clean is very much the Deluxe sound IMO. Also I had an IE4 Egnater and the EG2 tone is very, very similar to the DLX.

Deluxe = Sparkle. Has very good bass too.

Do you have the Clapton Crossroads festival DVD where John Mayer does that SRV vamp thing for a few minutes? If that is the sound you are talking about I think the DLX would be it. Very close.

gtr31 said:
Spider,
Did you check out the twin clip at amazing tone. com .Its very sparkly the guy is playing something like dust inm the wind and it sounds great.

Why don't you post a link to the exact clip you're referring to? I don't see any link for an Egnater anywhere on that site.

i found the clips he was talking about through a google search. They're ok but theres too much dirt in the sound for what im looking for. The ones on indoorstorms site are pretty perfect.

Latest posts