Egnater MOD50 + THD YJ Triodes = Godly Tone!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orren

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I received and brand-spanking new Egnater MOD50 amplifier to match my Egnater 1x12 (custom loaded with a Heritage G12H). Others have talked up how fantastic the MOD50 is, and I second everything they have said. I have the SL2 (hot rodded Marshall), Erect (Dual Rectifier), and VX (Vox) dual channel modules, and they are all exceptional. I've also experimented with different power tubes. The stock EL34s sound great. I thought 6L6s sounded really nice too (a bit bottom heavy unless I pulled back on the Density control, but good). And 6V6s had a nice combination of cutting mids and top, with a lower output to boot.

But I have found my ideal power tube for that amp for "my" sound. It is...drum roll please...the THD Electronics Yellow Jacket Triode EL84! THD Yellow Jackets Triodes have a smoother feel than the normal YJs--more even, a bit lower gain, but the high gain Egnater preamps modules have SO much gain on tap, you'll never miss it. I find that with the THD YJ Triodes the MOD50 has a tight bottom, more presence, and even at high gain and MIDDLE settings, no mud! They don't turn the MOD50 into an "EL84" sounding amp, it still has its own flavor based on the preamp module you're using, but of course YJ Triodes do help the VX module sound even more Voxy!

For those who've not checked out the Egnater MOD50, its absolutely worth a look. And for those who haven't checked out the THD YJ Triodes, they're worth a look. And if you've already got a MOD50, you owe it to yourself to try out some of the THD YJ Triodes. Even if you don't like the normal YJs, even if you don't like EL84s in general, trust me, the combination is absolutely stunning.

Orren

Man I want a MOD 50 even worse now. You guys are killing me! Okay I don't get it so you'll have to explain. Difference between regular Yellow Jackets and Yellow Jacket Triodes?

Basically, the standard power tubes that we use in our amps (EL34, 6L6, 6V6, 5881, KT88, etc) are "pentode" power tubes. That means that they have five pins, all of which are being powered by the amp. Some amps, however, have a switch that lets you send power to only three of the five pins. This cuts down the wattage, and changes the tone of the tubes. Rivera amps, for example, almost all have Pentode/Triode switches. The THD Electronics Yellow Jacket Triodes basically do this--they only power some of the EL84 pins, not all of them, resulting in lower wattage, and a change in tone.

Orren

Hey orren ,would you have a site for the YJs.I am running JJ6L6s in my mod and I just love it.So you can just plop these in and how do you tune your bias for an el84yj.Just when I think it doesn't get any better !!!!!!!!!!
I read your post and i would like to try that,thanks for the info.
I really like this forum :D

jmgman70 said:
Hey orren ,would you have a site for the YJs.I am running JJ6L6s in my mod and I just love it.So you can just plop these in and how do you tune your bias for an el84yj.Just when I think it doesn't get any better !!!!!!!!!!
I read your post and i would like to try that,thanks for the info.
I really like this forum :D

Hi jmgman,

Unfortunately, there is no site for the YJ Triodes themselves. THD Electronics is apparently waiting for God Himself to update their website. ;) But you can check out http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/yellow_jacket.htm for general information on Yellow Jackets, and if you're interested, order the Triode version. They're not too expensive, places like Musician's Friend have them for sale.

The cool thing about Yellow Jackets is that you don't need to rebias at all! The Yellow Jacket converter converts the power grid to an automatically biasing Class A style amp, so you can just put them in, and you're done. :)

Orren

Yes... I have to say (even with the EL-34's I'm running, have yet to try out an amp with EL-84 tubes to my knowledge hehe) that my MOD50 is probably one of THE coolest amps I've played. The Egnater power section is great and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the low power mode! Very cool stuff! It's weird, but since I received my MOD50 I haven't had any G.A.S. for other amps (if you knew me better you'd be jaw-to-the-ground shocked!)!! I mean... I would love a Diezel VH-4 but I'll save that for when I have a pile of money just sitting around! :lol: This is one of the coolest amps I've found! I love it! :D Thanks again Bruce and Frank! 8)

the theory document on the P1 page at ax84.com (my site) explains tube operation, including the difference between triode and pentode operation. Still a good read, after all these years.