EMG 707 and Randall MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunter

Reaction score
So i have been playing on a Gibson Gothic V installed with EMG 81/85 and the 18v mod for some years now and hands down it is the best **** guitar i have ever played, can not duplicate its sound ever!!

So I have wanted a 7 string for so long and its so hard with the 7 string market so big LOL (little joke) after careful consideration and thought I went with the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser ( All Hail LOOMIS) but i gotta tell ya the one thing that turned me on to the guitar, the EMG 707s has recently turned me off.

You know when you get a new toy you play it and dial it in and pet it and stroke it. Well I have done this for near 2 months now and was begining to dislike my amp (RM100) and the tones i was getting when I decided to back track and plug the ole Gibby (81 equiped) in and take her for a spin and holy crap the amp rocks the guitar shreds.

THE EMG 707 PUP is the shittiest sounding PUP ever, IMHO of course.
It just does not have that grind that sweet spot, the dynamic charctaristics that the 81 has. So Im trying out my buddies 7 tonight and its loaded with the BLACKOUTs Im hoping for a miracle.

The hellraiser is such a great guitar i dont know why they went and put crap in them, I mean ok the 707 for soloing is good but nothing compared to the 81 or even the 6 string 85 in the neck all in all i think they should have put a better PUP in there.

Any thoughts on this, would the 18v mod to the 707s help? Sources still say no on that one. Input is welcome.

Let us know how it sounds, im in a similar position regarding 7 strings and ive been curious to see how the blackouts stack up against the 707

i have to know how the blackout turns out, i too have had this same problem and i have come to the conclusion that the 707 sucks ***, i did the 18 volt mod and it made it worse, before the mod it had some grind eventhough it was muddy and loose but after the mod i could have been playin bass on an ampeg and it would've sounded the same, no egde and too much flubber. i'm kinda in a pinch cause i altered the guitar to get the 707 in so hopefully the blackouts or the 81-7 are the same size as the 707. to be honest the stock passive pick up wasn't much worse than the 707. let us know how they work out, cause i'm definetly done with the 707

Ok 3 guitars
Gibson Gothic V/ PUPs 81/85 with 18v mod

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser/ PUPS EMG 707

Carvin Something 7 string / PUPS Seymour Duncan Blackout 7s.

While i could not adjust the PUP height on the Carvin it was about 1/4" or so from the string, and on an active PUP I prefer it closer than that, to the point where it almost touches the string in a hard palm mute. The carvins blackouts had a shred all to themselves.

In comparison i am based to the EMG 81s in the Gibson.

The blackout kick *** and are really dynamic and add a certain umph to the low end and the output, the highes sing with solo precision making runs articulate and mudiless. (Is that a word well it is now.) The rythms slay and are grinding with power and bite, while i did think they were a bit muddy at times this could be due to the PUP height, otherwise they made my RM100 pound out shredful bliss.

Now in comparison to the 707 hands down the BLACKOUTS win all out.
The 707 is like I explained previously, muddy and lifeless compared to the 2 aformentioned PUPs. while they do offer some great lower umph they lack dynamic power, articulation and plainly they do not shred as well.

On to the 81/ 18v mod In a comparison on a 6 string vs the two 7s so keep that in mind, I am partial to the 81s over both PUPs mentioned above, they have attack, shred, articulation, dynamic power and loads of bottom end. where there output is not nearly that of the BLCKOUTS which i am in favor of due to the fact that i like the amp to shine through. I felt that i had to gain down on the BOs a bit, Think Dino (Divne Heresy, Fearfactory) your buying that kind of output when you get the BOs. While with the 81 Its a bit more controlled and clear ya thats the word clear. When you hit strings individually they stand out a little more, when doing trem picking or triplets you can hear the notes more so , to my ears.

Unfortunatly I can not find a direct replacement for the 707 in the 81-7 type. However the Seymour Duncans Blackouts do offer 2 sizes so thast one thing to think about.

In conclusion:
81- great PUP for Articulation, and true-er amp tones.
Blackouts- great PUP for heavier styles, more power chord oriented. (possibly due to the low PUP height) I do think they are good for single note ripping as well.
707- not so good, difficult to dial in. would choose over most passives however.
I have tried many PUPs Invaders, JBs, Duncan Distorion, Dimarzio PAF, Evo etc. To me ACTIVE is the way to play.
(1086, Ultra Lead tested on all PUP types in this review.)

This is only my opinion I don not expect anyone to see this my way this is only my perspective on about 2 hours of playing the 3 guitars. I will again reply after more play time on the PUPS.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts_7stri/

Phase II blackouts are a direct replacement for the 707. Hope that helps.

Not much experience with EMGs, but if you like the sound of the 81, could you maybe try the 81-7 for your 7-string?

I dropped an 81-7 in the Schecter i reviewed above and it just shreds I love that Pickup.

Also did the 18v mod to it and it just sings.

TheHunter you need to go on Sevenstring.org and research. They all love the new Bareknuckle pups in their 7's. I think you should give em a look.

As far as 7's, i like passive's. Both my ibanez 7's have evo 7 pups in em. Will never go back to EMG on my 7's.

tonymustang302 said:
TheHunter you need to go on Sevenstring.org and research. They all love the new Bareknuckle pups in their 7's. I think you should give em a look.

As far as 7's, i like passive's. Both my ibanez 7's have evo 7 pups in em. Will never go back to EMG on my 7's.

Do they make a BAReKnuckle to fit the bass style EMGs, this is the one complaint a I have about the EMG PUPs GRRR cant change out without modifing the guitar.

Latest posts