Exodus rhythm tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guitars
- Bernie Rico Jr. guitars Gary Holt Signature Vixen guitar(B.C Rich)
- Ibanez guitars
- Jackson guitars
- Seymour Duncan Custom TB-5 in the bridge, in all guitars
- Dean markley strings

Amps and Cabinets
- Peavey XXX head (with 6L6 Tubes)

- Peavey XXX cabinets
- Peavey Triple XXX 412 4x12 Guitar Cabinet Angled

- Marshall head and 4x12 cabinet

Effects and More
- Home Brew Electronics HBE Gary Holt Signature Doomsday Device
- Dunlop 95Q Crybaby Wah Pedal

- PreSonus EQ3B Parametric Equalizer

- Boss OC-2 Octave pedal

- HomeBrew Electronics UNO MOS Guitar Pedal

- Homebrew Germania 44 Treble Booster Pedal

As to what module would be best, not too sure...maybe a modded Ultra?

alaskaehlers

I saw the name Andy Sneap.... to me that means that the track was reamped to a 5150. He tends to do that a lot. or has at least layered a 5150 into it.

It's a studio recording. You don't know what was done. You won't find an amp that will give you that sound. You don't know how many cabs were used or what was in them.

Yeh I see what your saying. I know a Mesa Rectofier was used on that too. I was just after the peavey xxx sound. Heres gary just playing his Peavy rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGj0aqex3U&feature=related

Doesn't matter if there isn't a mod out there that can sound like it. I was thinking about getting a Salvation Angel mod which sounds awesome anyway.

I'd personally see if I could get Pete or Salvation to mod an Ultra XL with an active EQ (if at all possible) and a tone stack/gain structure similar to the Triple XXX (maybe with a couple of switches to make certain aspects of the tone like mids or bass more similar to the 5150 so you can get some hybrid sounds goin on ;))

now Gary Holt is using the Engl Savage 120....so id say for newer stuff go with Salvations Angel mod.

Chak_wylde said:
Thats awesome. I didn't believe at first but i checked out their studio vid and gary holt says he really digs the Engl Savage 120.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecw3BfBvh_8

Btw, anyone know what the sound diference between the savage 120 and the powerball?
Quite a big one actually.

The Powerball is very scooped, somewhat sterile and more compressed than most other ENGLs, and doesn't cut through as well in the mix. I saw a punk/hardcore band using one live with a Mesa Recto on the other side at a show I went to if you want an example of the tone. More extreme examples of the PB in use is Necrophagist's first album.

Savage has MUCH more midrange girth than the PB and cuts through better, sounding much fuller in the mix than the PB, Fireball, or the Invader. It's ballsier and simply a more muscular sounding amp with more grit in the top end. Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist) uses these amps now, and they were used on the first In Flames album, I believe, as well as the first Sinergy album.

Thinking about it, I can definitely see Gary using the Savage after hearing Shovel Headed Kill Machine :D