Finally tried the R59 platinum!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Rob sent me this module over six months ago, and due to some severe ground loop issues on my rack, I had never properly tried it so far.

With the ground loops taken care of after moving around an ebtech hum elminator, I could finally give it a try.

First, I must say, already owning a regular RR59 that Rob's production is very consistent. Side by side, on similar settings, the modules were quite hard to distinguish.

While the 59RR is my favorite vintage plexi crunch tones of all the modules I tried, I thought the hot rodded JCM800 fell a little short of my expectations. Just lacking a little bit of distorsion and bite to my taste for the kind of Zakk Wylde I like.

Well, the platinum edition's 3rd gain stage does just that. So far, my favourite boosted JCM 800 tone came from the 1987 with the help of a clean boost, and the Egnater SL++

The RR59 platinum tops them by a small margin. The boosted 1987 is just a little too noise, and the SL++ is a little too scooped. But they are all great modules. Both RR59s now sit in my rack, the regular one in plexi mode and the platinum edition in boosted JCM mode.

Thanks again to Rob for his great job on this module. Really a shame than the modular concept has become some sort of "elite" club while it had the potential to be much more.

Steve,
Happy to hear you got the gremlins worked out and are finally able to enjoy your modules. More importantly, thanks for the kind words!

Feedback like yours is what led to the 59RR Standard being discontinued for 2013 and being replaced by the 59RR Custom. The Custom preceded the Platinum, which was a fine tuned hybrid of the Standard and Custom. In general, nearly every customer that ever had an issue with the Standard found exactly what they wanted in the Custom. It just made sense to streamline it.

As for it being an elite club, it's really just a matter of proper exposure. I constantly expose new players to it at gigs, Amp Shows and those who come by the shop. I'd say I got at least 25 folks into their first MTS system in 2012 from word of mouth efforts alone. As for the line, it's only the closure of the first chapter. The story is far from over.

Have a great weekend,
Rob

Yes Rob really hit it out of the park with this one!! Def my fav module! Aldp gotta give major props to his OD Special module too, I think everyone into mts should have one!!!

They really are a special module. So many options in one slot. I generally use mine in plexi mode with the 3rd gain stage on. Course sometimes ya gotta rip it in the boosted 800 side. One of Rob's best for sure.