Firing up the RM22 and The Judge module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squid Music

Reaction score
I tried to get a little fancy with a four angle video shoot for a demo I did with the Charvel Retro Pro Mod and my new Randall MTS series RM22 18 watt head. It was very difficult to get it all synchronized but I put it up anyways.

I'm using the recently released Lynch signature model called The Judge. This amp is a ton of fun and is perfect for recording late at night. This whole thing was recorded at television volume and I recorded the lead while my kids were sleeping a couple of rooms away. That's saying a lot. My daughter wakes up if you are downstairs and sneeze. My son sleeps through the smoke alarms going off so I probably could have cranked this thing up and not disturbed him. :yes:

Anyway, I think there are going to be a lot more things recorded with this amp. This is definitely the coolest, low wattage amp I have ever played and this The Judge module is IMO the best module in the entire MTS series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaB-fqrj_LY

Gotta say I love the Judge I bought from the Squid a while back. Just the right amount of gain, nice pinch harmonics and both modes have something different to offer. Can't believe how good it sounds in the RM22.

any chance you could share your settings including density and presence.....

and killer tune.... :D :wink:

Thanks very much guys. As many of you know, I have been an MTS dealer for probably 6 years. Two of the guys who work for me are MTS freaks. Jay here has almost every single model and Shane is out gigging his RM100 all the time with his metal band.

As you can see in different angles in this video, I have a lot of really expensive amps and have been able to avoid taking the MTS plunge this whole time. In the video you will see a '70 Marshall Super Trem, a '72 Marshall Super Lead, a '83 Marshall JCM800, a Mojave Peacemaker and a Splawn Quick Rod. I kept talking myself out of the MTS based on the ridiculous amount of firepower I am fortunate enough to have.

Once I heard The Judge module, I was all in. It didn't sound good "for an MTS module" it didn't sound good as a low watt alternative to my "real amps". The Judge sounded like one of the best modded Marshall tones I have ever heard. And I am all about modded Marshall tones. And to hear this little 18 watter with El84 give me this tone that I chase all the time, let's just say I get a big smile on my face everytime I play it.

THEJUDGE said:
any chance you could share your settings including density and presence.....

and killer tune.... :D :wink:

This is going to be from memory but on the rhythms, I had the gain at 1 o clock for one of the tracks and 2 o'clock for the other. The rest of the settings are Bass at 1 o'clock, Mids at 12 o'clock, Treble at 2 o'clock, the level was quite low, maybe 10 o'clock for the rhythms and 9 o'clock for the leads. The Density and Presence were right around noon also, maybe cheated a little one way or the other.

I hope that helps.

And thanks for the nice comments guys, I appreciate it.

I just got an email from Joe at Randall and they put this video on the front page of the website. That's pretty exciting for me!

Squid Music said:
Thanks very much guys. As many of you know, I have been an MTS dealer for probably 6 years. Two of the guys who work for me are MTS freaks. Jay here has almost every single model and Shane is out gigging his RM100 all the time with his metal band.

As you can see in different angles in this video, I have a lot of really expensive amps and have been able to avoid taking the MTS plunge this whole time. In the video you will see a '70 Marshall Super Trem, a '72 Marshall Super Lead, a '83 Marshall JCM800, a Mojave Peacemaker and a Splawn Quick Rod. I kept talking myself out of the MTS based on the ridiculous amount of firepower I am fortunate enough to have.

Once I heard The Judge module, I was all in. It didn't sound good "for an MTS module" it didn't sound good as a low watt alternative to my "real amps". The Judge sounded like one of the best modded Marshall tones I have ever heard. And I am all about modded Marshall tones. And to hear this little 18 watter with El84 give me this tone that I chase all the time, let's just say I get a big smile on my face everytime I play it.

Great video and playing! Thanks for putting this up. Tell me a little bit about that Splawn Quick Rod. I've been thinking of picking up a combo version of that one for a while. I wish they would come to the LA Amp Show so I could try one!

Squid Music said:
I just got an email from Joe at Randall and they put this video on the front page of the website. That's pretty exciting for me!

That's great, let's create some MTS hype.

I got exactly that combination on order since two months and will pick it up this saturday (incl. a Malcolm for Channel 1) :wink:

hunter said:
Squid Music said:

That's great, let's create some MTS hype.

I got exactly that combination on order since two months and will pick it up this saturday (incl. a Malcolm for Channel 1) :wink:

You may be surprised at how Plexi sounding the Mode 1 of The Judge is. That mode sounds totally killer in a classic Marshall sort of way. I didn't use it on the video demo but am really impressed with that one too.

I sold an RM22 to Ethan that has the killer RM22 videos on Youtube and he got the SL+ and the Plexi modules. He's a total Marshall freak too. Then he got The Judge and likes Mode 1 better than his Plexi module and likes Mode 2 better than his SL+.

audiomidijace said:
Great video and playing! Thanks for putting this up. Tell me a little bit about that Splawn Quick Rod. I've been thinking of picking up a combo version of that one for a while. I wish they would come to the LA Amp Show so I could try one!

Hey man.... I'm a dealer for Splawn Amplification too. If you are close enough to go to the LA Amp Show, you may be close enough to come visit my store. We are close to Disneyland. Let me know about your coming to try the Splawn because I am almost always sold out of them. I can bring my personal one from home for you to check out if I know you are coming.

Im in SoCal too, up near Magic Mountain. Gonna have to come check it out! I've gotta get this module....

Good playing,but not the greatest sounding module for sure....just not a big fan of the lynch modules from what I have heard so far for whatever reason,though I always thought he was an awesome player and had great tone.....cool there is a clip of this that is decent quality though..I know alot of people are interested in it.....

I'm in Central California, but would certainly make the journey for an amp show :) You guys need an ivory 5153 to have for people to play? I'd happily bring mine

alowerdeep said:
Good playing,but not the greatest sounding module for sure....just not a big fan of the lynch modules from what I have heard so far for whatever reason,though I always thought he was an awesome player and had great tone.....cool there is a clip of this that is decent quality though..I know alot of people are interested in it.....

Thanks. I do disagree with you on whether this is a great sounding module. For what my ears want to hear, this is the best module I have ever heard including any mods. This just nails that modded Marshall, heavy rock tone.

Judging by the gear in your sig, I just think we have different ideas of what would qualify as great tone. No big deal. Neither of the other guys at the shop here are that big on The Judge module. For me though, it is the module that finally got me to break out my wallet and go MTS. If your heroes are EVH, Lynch, DeMartini, Rhoads, Le Tekro and other assorted 80's guitar greats, this is the module for you. Modern metal? Uhm no, not this module.

Actually,I do love that stuff and like I said,I think Lynch had a great guitar tone..I dont know what it is about the lynch modules..they just arent as clean and articualte sounding to me..Ive had a stock and modded grail and a Mr. Scary...a/b'ing them with the same aettings as the stock SL and some of my modded modules they just have kind of a muffled or dark tone,even if I crank the treble...maybe I dont have the touch for them for whatever reason......still a cool vid though....always good to hear clips for things rather than having to buy and try......