Friedman-modded Plexi vs. Brahma (stock and modded)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojdogg

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with these? There's a FMP for sale in the classifieds and I'm wondering if it's worth getting if I already have a Brahma, which I had planned on getting modded in the not too distant future. Has anyone also had the opportunity to compare a FMP vs. a FM Brahma? If so, how different are they and is the FMB clearly better?
THanks!

I would love to get an answer from Mr Friedman...

I have heard the Friedman Plexi mod is same/similar to what he did for Steve Stevens. Since Steve used a metal face '70's (pre 2203 JMP I believe, so NMV.. I *think* it is an early/mid '70's 1959 SL), I would *assume* the mod was created to emulate that. But, it may be simpler, more complex.. well, only Dave or someone whom he has discussed it with can say.

The Brahma OTOH, was supposed to be based upon Lynch's '68 Plexi. The '68 Plexi is also quite famous for it's use by EVH. There is a vid on Youtube of Dave working on a proto Brahma, mod'd, with George. If you check ebay (and other places), once in a very great while a "Brahma Friedman Corrected" will appear. Supposedly these are Brahma's that Dave has tweaked to be (closer to) Lynch's current Brahma being used.

If all the above is true, then I would say they are very different animals. From '68 to '69, the panels went from plexi to metal, and the transformers got spread apart (changes the sound, subtly), caps to top, etc.

I wrote all that so that I can learn as well... I want a Dave mod'd Plexi, and would love to try one done to Steve's specs. Would love to play that Brahma proto George used in the vid (no boost? just guitar into module?) I wish they would have said what speakers were in that cab... Hopefully someone has spoken to Dave and knows the full scoop :D

Oh- edit to add- Rig Talk has now added Suhr and.. Rack Systems (Dave Friedman) to their stable. I posted about this there as I am very curious.. these are two modules I am VERY interested in.

Thanks for the info Nikki! I really like the Brahma stock-- particularly with some OD boost in front (as many do). I have tried a couple of Friedman-modded modules-- the Super V and the Top Boost and they weren't quite for me. I just bought RD/Steve's Friedman-modded SL+ and am psyched to try that out. I could see myself being happy for a while with that (if it's as good as I hope), and Brahma (modded or not) and the Blackface (at least until I'm through the holidays :wink: ).
I imagine that the mods are just changing capacitor and resistor types and values (?)-- maybe bypassing some (?)
I probably should retube these all too...

The Freidman modded plexi will be so much like the Brahma that I would say don't bother. Dave states as much on the Rig-talk Racksystems forum.

This isn't exactly what your asking but thought I'd share. I emailed Dave a couple days ago asking the difference between his mod on the Plexi and his mod on the Brahma. His answer was "brahma is slightly smoother and darker".